What has improve your life?

Surely the contraceptive pill has done more to change their lives though.

Perhaps this chap was just talking about mechanical inventions? Can't remember. Can't for the life of me find any reference to it either.

If you google "washing machine and emancipation" you get claims that reckoning that the washing machine did more for emancipation than the pill! However much of it seems to be Vatican-linked research, so probably best take that with a pinch of salt......:)

---------- Post added 29-03-2016 at 21:14 ----------

oo, found him, it's Ha-Joon Chang, Cambridge economist. He's basically saying inventions that freed up women's time had more impact on society than the internet.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2010/aug/29/my-bright-idea-ha-joon-chang

when I was really young- a bike, arcade games, lego and the freedom to be out all day.

when I was young- console games, pencils, pens & paper, stephen king books and bikes.

when I was a teen- consoles, dope, music, spraypaint, bmx's, mushrooms, exploration.

Then - The mrs, the internet; torrents, wikipedia, journals etc, the kid, work & money

Now- bit of sodding peace and quiet. car.

---------- Post added 30-03-2016 at 01:05 ----------

vaping. very much so.

A previous discussion mentioned 4x4s being a staple of our lives, a step up. I drive a old, large car because its practical.

I love my Dyson because the dust from Hoovers years ago made me sneeze.

What items have made your families lives better, not just keeping up with the Jones.

Tons of stuff has improved my life over the years!

Having a garage

Moving to a house with no privets or conifers

Sansa clip sport (tiny MP3 player)

Street cleaners

Mastercam

Bedside touchlamps

New boiler = decent shower experience

etc...

Perhaps this chap was just talking about mechanical inventions? Can't remember. Can't for the life of me find any reference to it either.

If you google "washing machine and emancipation" you get claims that reckoning that the washing machine did more for emancipation than the pill! BHowever much of it seems to be Vatican-linked research, so probably best take that with a pinch of salt......:)

---------- Post added 29-03-2016 at 21:14 ----------

oo, found him, it's Ha-Joon Chang, Cambridge economist. He's basically saying inventions that freed up women's time had more impact on society than the internet.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2010/aug/29/my-bright-idea-ha-joon-chang

I'd probably agree. I bought my first automatic washing machine in the seventies when I started temping. Before that I had an old single tub plus an ancient spin dryer. I can remember the kids and I watching the first load go round!

My mother never had a machine. She hand washed the small stuff and put it through a little mangle clipped to the sink. The bedding and other large items went wrapped in brown paper, to the laundry.

The microwave oven is another invention that freed up time. Freezers and fridges have reduced the need to shop every day like we used to. These are the sorts of inventions that have made it much easier for both parents in a household to go out to work.

The inestimably brilliant Magic Flight Launch Box has improved my life an iota or two.

Vaping dude? ;)

---------- Post added 02-04-2016 at 12:46 ----------

Argh! you quoted me before I fixed my greengrocer's apostrophe. You fiend!

Its :hihi:...........