Cherry tree pub to be a Co-op?

Another supermarket, really?? Unbelievable. we already got 7 large or small supermarkets within 5 mins drive or the bus, they'll ferry you in.

Then there's that tinterweb thingy, they'll bring it to you!!!

Why close a community pub, decimate small local traders and ask for all that extra traffic right on your own doorstep??

worlds gone mad :)

I totally agree but do local people really use it?

Local pubs have a tough time these days and unless local residents use them then they can not survive.

I have not been in for a while but go past regularly and it always looks really quiet.

Maybe I am wrong are there people on here who go in the week or at the weekend how busy is it?

• 1 month later...

The cherry tree will be a pub at least until next year.

If you want to keep it as a pub you will have to use it as a pub.

It is open every day 7 days a week and will be until further notice in the distant future.

It has been agreed at the local community meeting that they will put the cherry tree forward to be registered as a community asset, although this is not a cast iron guarantee that it will always be a pub, it may make it that difficult to change that it becomes 'not worth it' for any supermarket chain.

However....

It's ok saying it must be a pub, but if no one uses it, than it will fail to be a viable business. That's what pubs are these days, not an institution, not just a local watering hole, it's a business operating on supply and demand, and they are expensive to run, without the demand can somebody please explain how it will survive as a pub?

The cherry tree will be a pub at least until next year.

If you want to keep it as a pub you will have to use it as a pub.

It's ok saying it must be a pub, but if no one uses it, than it will fail to be a viable business. That's what pubs are these days, not an institution, not just a local watering hole, it's a business operating on supply and demand, and they are expensive to run, without the demand can somebody please explain how it will survive as a pub?

I don't want this to sound like a personal dig, but this is the kind of mind-set that kills any business. Anyone who thinks that they can run a business and then blame its potential customers for its failure, needs to get a proper job. A business can only survive by supplying a demand, it only succeeds where others fail, by creating that demand.

I don't want this to sound like a personal dig, but this is the kind of mind-set that kills any business. Anyone who thinks that they can run a business and then blame its potential customers for its failure, needs to get a proper job. A business can only survive by supplying a demand, it only succeeds where others fail, by creating that demand.

Sorry don't agree here, Iv worked in the pub trade more often than not the PubCo wants rip off rents and tie the landlord to buying from the PubCo who want stupid money for their products. A pub could be packed out but still fails to make a profit due to the high overheads. A pub or club is a business it needs to make lots of money to keep going. The fault lies with the PubCo who make it so hard to make a profit and wiling to sell their pubs at a drop of a hat remembered what happened to the ' Travellers ' on Peniston Road look how Enterprise Inns sold their tenant down the road to the willing supermarket purchaser.

Crookedspire, I don't doubt what you say for a minute, However, the issue raised by Cherrytree was about 'bums on seats'. Clearly, if the business model of the pub's owners is to purposely make the building fail as a pub, then anyone trying to make a success of it, is going to be fighting a losing battle.

It appears to me that the pub is being set up to fail so that it can be sold off.

A previous comment said how expensive it is to run a pub, yet it is continuously running out of beer, lager, Guinness and wine and is still supported even if there favourite drink has run out.

Just had a survey through the post from Councillor Shaffaq Mohammed regarding the "potential Co-op store at the Cherry Tree site. A planning application has not yet been submitted but no doubt will be.

every can have there say if they support a new co-op or not and make any comments if they wish.

We too have had the survey from the "Councillor for Carterknowle" asking for views on a Co-op store replacing the Cherry Tree pub.

The Cherry Tree underwent a refurb a couple of years ago (?); bit of clean-up, new signage, etc. We wander past most days and it looks even emptier than before. You compare the Prince of Wales at the top of Carter Knowle Rd; the car park is perpetually full, it's invested in decor and most importantly the food menu, nice if a little pretentious ;) I don't think anyone was prepared to invest the money needed to make the Cherry Tree more marketable and draw the large local community back in, a shame :(

Coltons, the convenience store was very handy and much missed. I believe the leaseholders forced them out (?) in order to sell the property for development which hasn't happened. It sat well with the newsagents and Knab's farm shop. The Co-op could fill a much needed gap, the footprint of the pub and car parking make it the more obvious choice than the old Coltons building. The concern would be the inevitable impact to the existing shops...