How would a right wing person help the poor/needy?

I really do feel for your losses. No amount of money can compensate for that, and heaven knows DLA etc is hardly a fortune; barely enough to keep ticking over.

It annoys me beyond measure that some people simply cannot see that finding ways to keep yourself positive, 'active,' busy and as useful as possible, within your limitations, does not equate to working.

It seems to me you are being criticised simply for trying to maintain a positive outlook. Maybe they would they be happier if long-term disabled people simply sank into a trough of despair and stayed there...

I do know that disabled people can be productive - but debates like this where it's a race to the bottom and everyone's an economic unit hardly does anything either for people's self esteem or the cause of further integration of disabled people.

I mean if there weren't laws requiring that adjustments should be made to buildings or to services would these have happened anyway? No probably not - because it costs too much, and the disabled don't want much etc etc.

Lets say a software company wants to hire coders and they pay £50k pa based on a target of 10k lines of code a day. They interview various people inclyding two applicants who are tallented coders but have disabilities that mean that while the quality of coding is unaffected they will only be able to do 5k lines a day.

Do you think the law should say either employ them on £50k pa or don't employ them at all or should it allow employing both on £25k pa each to reflect their productivity?

Well aren't they lucky that they can use their computer anywhere in the world? I would imagine that they either applied or tendered for any jobs that they have though.

More likely they are self employed, with my idea you wouldn't need to apply for a job, it would just be given to you by the local authority.

I really do feel for your losses. No amount of money can compensate for that, and heaven knows DLA etc is hardly a fortune; barely enough to keep ticking over.

It annoys me beyond measure that some people simply cannot see that finding ways to keep yourself positive, 'active,' busy and as useful as possible, within your limitations, does not equate to working.

It seems to me you are being criticised simply for trying to maintain a positive outlook. Maybe they would they be happier if long-term disabled people simply sank into a trough of despair and stayed there...

I sometimes think that is their aim too, but although it does get me down sometimes (and I'm struggling at the moment because I gave up every hobby I'd ever had when I first got ill because they were unsuitable for some reason or other, and now I'm having to give up most of the ones that I started in order to replace those ones too) but I don't plan on staying there.

Underneath all of the layers of pain, sedation and immobility there is a brain and a human spirit trying to be seen and heard, and that means that I continue to challenge myself wherever I can, continue to try learning new things whenever I can, and will continue to try to have a meaning and a purpose in this world.

And no, just because I've got enough energy to be able to stack the dishwasher once today, that doesn't mean that I am capable of doing it all day!

---------- Post added 30-03-2016 at 20:06 ----------

More likely they are self employed, with my idea you wouldn't need to apply for a job, it would just be given to you by the local authority.

So how would they know what I'm capable of? That's an interview process isn't it?

I sometimes think that is their aim too, but although it does get me down sometimes (and I'm struggling at the moment because I gave up every hobby I'd ever had when I first got ill because they were unsuitable for some reason or other, and now I'm having to give up most of the ones that I started in order to replace those ones too) but I don't plan on staying there.

Underneath all of the layers of pain, sedation and immobility there is a brain and a human spirit trying to be seen and heard, and that means that I continue to challenge myself wherever I can, continue to try learning new things whenever I can, and will continue to try to have a meaning and a purpose in this world.

And no, just because I've got enough energy to be able to stack the dishwasher once today, that doesn't mean that I am capable of doing it all day!

My very Best wishes to you Medusa, and keep on fighting the fight.

Ignore those who bring you down. In actual fact you should be regarded as an inspiration to the rest of us.

Love and Peace.

XXX

Edited by mort

Ignore those who bring you down. In actual fact you should be regarded as an inspiration to the rest of us.

Love and Peace.

XXX

What is it that medusa inspires you to do?

What is it that medusa inspires you to do?

Medusa has put innumerable hours into keeping this forum running. All of us who choose to use it have benefited from her input, and as an ex admin and moderator, I benefited personally from her support and willingness to share her knowledge. I find people who put themselves out for others quite inspirational, and I include Medusa in their number.

I've worked with people who have very visible disabilities, however in the right environment they are just as productive as any of their non disabled colleagues. Whilst they may have been unable to walk, or missing an arm, or partially sighted, they didn't suffer from one of the things that makes holding down a job well nigh impossible. Chronic, severe pain. I suppose it's possible that unless someone has experienced unremitting pain, they may not have the imagination to know what it's like. I had a condition some years ago that made it impossible for me to do almost anything. The constant pain in my face caused by trigeminal neuralgia meant I could barely function. Even the morphine based pain medication that was prescribed barely took the edge off. Fortunately in my case it disappeared after a few weeks as suddenly as it started and I still had a job to return to. Some people sadly suffer for years. Hidden disabilities like constant pain, or heart failure, or severely debilitating mental health conditions can impair lives to a huge extent, unfortunately people are quick to judge what they can't see or don't understand.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

Love and Peace.

XXX

No one as been pulling Medusa down.

My argument is; all this (expensive) medical input has gone into finding out if you're fit enough to work, (you're not,) yet I'm willing to bet not a fraction of this time, effort and medical expertise has gone into helping with your condition, which is what the NHS is supposed to be for.

And I might be wrong, but doesn't this have to be repeated every two years and you have to start proving yourself all over again?

The NHS is supposed to spend its scarce resources helping people's health, not hounding them and making them worse.

You're wrong.

Applying medical assessments to people wanting DLA creates more taxpayers money than it costs.

Some of the people assessed will be made to work. They'll be paying taxes and receiving less in benefits.

An assessment every 2 years costs a small fraction of what 2 years of benefits cost anyway.

That's the idea anyway. It would have worked out great if the government in its infinitesimal wisdom had actually had disabled people assessed by people qualified to assess them. Even then it would have worked out okay if those who were judged fit for work were allowed to keep their DLA whilst their appeal was considered.

Leave it to the state to take a thoroughly reasonable plan and screw it up so badly that they drive innocent people to their graves.

Love and Peace.

XXX

I wholeheartedly agree.