How would a right wing person help the poor/needy?

And anything that includes set shifts is out because of the number of days that I sleep straight through. How would you as an employer deal with me not being available at all for at least one day a week and sleeping through significant parts of all of the other days?

I'm awake when I'm awake and asleep (to the point that I can't even be woken by shaking me) when I'm asleep, and I usually do not get to choose or plan when these happen.

Agree. One of the most difficult aspects of disability is its sometimes unpredictable nature, making a lot of disabled people unreliable. Why would an employer employ them when there are plenty of able bodied deperate for the job?

Same is true of illnesses which flare up at intervals, and put people in bed for weeks at a time

The employer would be the local austerity so they will make some significant allowances for your disability, no set shift or hours just work when you are able to work with some kind of assessment to determine how many hours you will be able to manage each month. You would log on to the website when you are able and deal with the enquiries, you would be part of a team along with other people in similar situation to yourself.

And the money to set up and run such banks of workers comes from where? If I could only log on for a few hours one week, how do I afford to eat?

Although I'm generally on the left on a lot of social and economic issues, I wouldn't want to dismiss people who are on the right as being unwilling to show compassion or empathy.

I think as individuals, those on the right would go about helping those in need the same as those on the left - by raising money, working as volunteers, staffing the CAB etc.

I would also think that plenty on the left get angry at people who deliberately abuse the system - for the straight forward reason that if it gets abused it loses credibility, hence less public support for the people who may depend on it when they lose their jobs.

I think your right that there will always be a small minority of 'feckless' people who take advantage - but that shouldn't stop the system being there in the first place. Similar with the Justice system; no doubt there will be some who will plead innocent but who are guilty - on that basis the authorities don't say everyone suspected of a crime is guilty.

Investing in DWP investigators maybe one way - however that's likely to prove to be false economy, as I don't think that the number of people defrauding the system is that high.

I think from an early age people should have the work ethic instilled in them, that it's good to work and have some structure to your day - even if it is volunteering then your still contributing.

And the money to set up and run such banks of workers comes from where? If I could only log on for a few hours one week, how do I afford to eat?

Your wage would be assessed based on your needs, if it is determined that you need £200 a week and you are only able to work 10 hours a week you will be paid £200 for 10 hours work. Its funded in the same why that benefits are funded, the difference being instead of meeting your needs for doing nothing, the government meets your needs in return for doing something.

Why would an employer employ them when there are plenty of able bodied desperate for the job?

My ring wing side would say that employers should be given a financial incentive to employ someone with health issues. I believe they already get some sort of bonus if they employ someone that has been out of work for longer than six months.

Agree. One of the most difficult aspects of disability is its sometimes unpredictable nature, making a lot of disabled people unreliable. Why would an employer employ them when there are plenty of able bodied deperate for the job?

Same is true of illnesses which flare up at intervals, and put people in bed for weeks at a time

Although Remploy still do exist - they are a shadow of their former selves, and are owned by either ATOS or MAXIMUS (who took over from Atos).

It's not the answer for every disabled person sure, but I did read that many were angry when their local Remploy factory closed

Your wage would be assessed based on your needs, if it is determined that you need £200 a week and you are only able to work 10 hours a week you will be paid £200 for 10 hours work. Its funded in the same why that benefits are funded, the difference being instead of meeting your needs for doing nothing, the government meets your needs in return for doing something.

And if I can't do those 10 hours?

My ring wing side would say that employers should be given a financial incentive to employ someone with health issues. I believe they already get some sort of bonus if they employ someone that has been out of work for longer than six months.

I'm glad that your right wing side didn't say that the disabled should be paid less than non disabled people....Tory MP Philip Davies beat you to it ;)

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2011/jun/17/tory-philip-davies-disabled-people-work

Some people can't work, the government has to look after those, in my view a lot more should be made of organisations like Remploy before it was shot down though, what use is it to condemn disabled people to life behind geraniums?

The issue is with unemployment benefits, if you are able to work, both physically and mentally, you shouldn't get more than a stipend between jobs. That is the theory already, but in practice there are too many loopholes. I also have issues with many other benefits that are taken for granted rather than appreciated. A cap on the number of children and an age-limit for parents to actually receive child benefits for example is overdue. Young parents should be parents by choice, not because it is a nice little earner for when you come out of school. I recently encountered a lady who happily told the cashier she had nine kids and when the cashier asked if the whisky was for dad to preserve his sanity she replied: which one?

Sorry, but why am I paying taxes to keep that lifestyle going? I am willing to put a good amount of money on the fact that most of those nine kids will end up living a similar life, not contributing but taking because they don't understand responsibilities.

And if I can't do those 10 hours?

They would be averaged out over a set period of time, so on your good weeks you work more hours than your bad weeks. If you constantly fail to meet your agreed targets you would be reassessed and sanctioned if necessary.