How would a right wing person help the poor/needy?

The disabled shouldn't be paid less for being disabled, but everyone should be paid according to their abilities and productivity, you may not believe this but some disabled people with be more productive than their non disabled colleagues, and that extra productivity should be rewarded.

He would be happier if he was out all day picking up litter for the money he gets, he isn't interested in money he just wants a job.

I do know that disabled people can be productive - but debates like this where it's a race to the bottom and everyone's an economic unit hardly does anything either for people's self esteem or the cause of further integration of disabled people.

I mean if there weren't laws requiring that adjustments should be made to buildings or to services would these have happened anyway? No probably not - because it costs too much, and the disabled don't want much etc etc.

I'd hope he had the common sense to ring me before hand and rearrange. But we're talking about people with disabilities and not 'man flu', as well you know.

Man with a van turns up and quotes you £120 for the job that will take him 4 hours.

Another man with a van turns up and quotes you £100 for the same job but it will take him 8 hours because of his disability.

Would you employ the second man and pay him £240?

Or would you just give him the £100 he asked for?

Or would you employ the able bodied man because he could do the job faster?

So. I'm guessing you wouldn't be paying him. You call it not doing the job he was called to do, some may call it disgusting discrimination.

Not really it's about not discriminating against someone on the basis of their disability. Someone who isn't disabled could say they were unable to do the job because of 'man flu'.

I do know that disabled people can be productive - but debates like this where it's a race to the bottom and everyone's an economic unit hardly does anything either for people's self esteem or the cause of further integration of disabled people.

I mean if there weren't laws requiring that adjustments should be made to buildings or to services would these have happened anyway? No probably not - because it costs too much, and the disabled don't want much etc etc.

This is why I think the public sector should employ them, the private sector needs to make money and the public sector don't.

Man with a van turns up and quotes you £120 for the job that will take him 4 hours.

Another man with a van turns up and quotes you £100 for the same job but it will take him 8 hours because of his disability.

Would you employ the second man and pay him £240?

Or would you just give him the £100 he asked for?

Or would you employ the able bodied man because he could do the job faster?

I'm arguing for the law to be adhered to. I don't know why you're trying to catch me out....

This is why I think the public sector should employ them, the private sector needs to make money and the public sector don't.

It's a good job we have people like Richard Branson then isn't it who in spite of his disability didn't stop him becoming a major employer in the private sector.

Not really it's about not discriminating against someone on the basis of their disability. Someone who isn't disabled could say they were unable to do the job because of 'man flu'.

Ok so I'll accept you admit your first premise was wrong- the one about the person with a bad cold, bereaved pregnant whatever....

Scenario 2: You phone a man with a van to move a piece of furniture. He turns up and has a knee problem (a bit of a limp) and can't lift the other end of the sofa with you but he still wants the £120 you agreed - would you pay him? Or are you going to discriminate against him?

---------- Post added 29-03-2016 at 22:24 ----------

It's a good job we have people like Richard Branson then isn't it who in spite of his disability didn't stop him becoming a major employer in the private sector.

Wouldn't it have been better if we hadn't made him work, and just paid him disability. He could now be living on the sick in a flat in Sheffield.

I'm sure he doesn't see himself as a disabled.

---------- Post added 29-03-2016 at 22:27 ----------

Wouldn't it have been better if we hadn't made him work, and just paid him disability. He could now be living on the sick in a flat in Sheffield.

Its a good job he didn't think his life was over just because he had dyslexia.

Ok so I'll accept you admit your first premise was wrong- the one about the person with a bad cold, bereaved pregnant whatever....

Scenario 2: You phone a man with a van to move a piece of furniture. He turns up and has a knee problem (a bit of a limp) and can't lift the other end of the sofa with you but he still wants the £120 you agreed - would you pay him? Or are you going to discriminate against him?

Look if it means that much to you then I'd probably give the man with a limp a hand with the sofa. Okay?

Can I suggest that instead of pestering me with your far flung scenarios to try and catch me out, you both should write to Granada and ask for a job as script writers on Coronation Street, you've got wonderful imaginations.

I'm not going to set myself up in business and advertise a service that I knowingly couldn't give.