How would a right wing person help the poor/needy?

I'm not families with their criteria for determining someone's ability to work, would they deem someone incapable of working if they were able to use a computer in their own home?

The ability to use a computer is a criterion, but alongside the ability to plan shifts, be in attendance for a full shift, being able to travel to work if needed and hundreds of other criteria.

Simply by being able to use a computer (with whatever kit is necessary to make this possible) in your own home is a sign that you have the desire to communicate with the outside world, not that you're capable of working. If the ability to be able to use a computer was proof that you were able to work that would leave my friend who can't speak or use his hands but can punch out individual letters using an antenna worn on a band around his head being labelled as fit for work.

Ok so I'll accept you admit your first premise was wrong- the one about the person with a bad cold, bereaved pregnant whatever....

Scenario 2: You phone a man with a van to move a piece of furniture. He turns up and has a knee problem (a bit of a limp) and can't lift the other end of the sofa with you but he still wants the £120 you agreed - would you pay him? Or are you going to discriminate against him?

---------- Post added 29-03-2016 at 22:24 ----------

Wouldn't it have been better if we hadn't made him work, and just paid him disability. He could now be living on the sick in a flat in Sheffield.

Er, no -one made him work, he did that himself.

And I'm not the one arguing that disabled people should be reduced to piece work where in probability they've got less chance of earning the same as their non disabled colleagues. Or be treated like second class citizens with a reduced wage to match - that's really incentivise people with disabilities :rolleyes:

---------- Post added 29-03-2016 at 21:36 ----------

I'm sure he doesn't see himself as a disabled.

---------- Post added 29-03-2016 at 22:27 ----------

Its a good job he didn't think his life was over just because he had dyslexia.

Virgin Group founder Sir Richard Branson added: “Having a learning disability should never hold you back.

“Dyslexia didn’t stop me building one of this country’s best loved brands. It isn’t a person’s disability that matters in business. It’s their ability.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/6148947/all-brits-businesses-should-take-on-disabled-person.html

The ability to use a computer is a criterion, but alongside the ability to plan shifts, be in attendance for a full shift, being able to travel to work if needed and hundreds of other criteria.

Simply by being able to use a computer (with whatever kit is necessary to make this possible) in your own home is a sign that you have the desire to communicate with the outside world, not that you're capable of working. If the ability to be able to use a computer was proof that you were able to work that would leave my friend who can't speak or use his hands but can punch out individual letters using an antenna worn on a band around his head being labelled as fit for work.

Yet thousands of able bodies people work from home by just using a computer.

The government should reassess their ability to work criteria and then create work that the disabled can do from home.

We can be thankful that Stephen Hawking didn't think himself incapable of contributing.

---------- Post added 29-03-2016 at 22:39 ----------

Virgin Group founder Sir Richard Branson added: “Having a learning disability should never hold you back.

“Dyslexia didn’t stop me building one of this country’s best loved brands. It isn’t a person’s disability that matters in business. It’s their ability.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/6148947/all-brits-businesses-should-take-on-disabled-person.html

So he didn't, he saw it as an ability not a disability, he had a positive metal attitude.

Look if it means that much to you then I'd probably give the man with a limp a hand with the sofa. Okay?

Can I suggest that instead of pestering me with your far flung scenarios to try and catch me out, you both should write to Granada and ask for a job as script writers on Coronation Street, you've got wonderful imaginations.

I'm not going to set myself up in business and advertise a service that I knowingly couldn't give.

This man with a van is the helping hand. You've already got your end of the sofa. That's why you needed the guy to turn up to help.

It's like someone in business advertising for a job for someone to help him. A disabled person turns up and demands ramps and extra time off and you to make sure he can work and that you pay him the same as someone who is able to help. You don't employ him. Is that discrimination and Nazi - like?

The government should reassess their ability to work criteria and then create work that the disabled can do from home.

We can be thankful that Stephen Hawking didn't think himself incapable of contributing.

---------- Post added 29-03-2016 at 22:39 ----------

So he didn't, he saw it as an ability not a disability, he had a positive metal attitude.

You said:

I'm sure he doesn't see himself as a disabled. I quoted him as saying that he has a learning disability. He didn't say that he saw his dyslexia as an ability. You said that.

And lots of people have a positive mental attitude to life, as well as the disabled.

Why would a dyslexic choose to become a proof reader? Are you taking the ****?

I am highlighting the absurdity of the position of not paying disabled people as much as able people. Should we pay dyslexic people as much as proof readers?

My wife and children are dyslexic. I bear no grudge, but I wouldn't get them to proof read my advert in the Sun let alone the Daily Telegraph. (They could probably manage the Guardain though).

They don't work from home just by using a computer. They are also able to plan their shifts, stick to a timetable, communicate freely with employers and a whole load of other things AND use a computer. They also, quite probably, had to attend somewhere for at least two interviews to get the job, attend somewhere for training for that job (both at appointed hours and days as dictated by the employer) and then also attend for seasonal or ongoing training sessions at the workplace too.

While they were present for training, they would be using computers which are probably not set up for their own needs and learn programs which may or may not be suitable for use with their own accessibility kit.

Very difficult to know what right and left wing means.

But most right wingers seem to be anti-benefits, but how should the addicts and low intelligence folk be helped. The poor have plenty of knockers, but I was listening to the radio today, about a doubling of homelessness.

Its really difficult to help those that cannot work, without allowing some scroungers to take advantage of the same system.

I have a bad back, stress, arthritis, diabetes; many can google those symptoms and exaggerate, how do stop that?

To ask this question - 'How would a right wing person help the poor/needy?'

then write this post ^^, is remarkable achievement in ambiguity!

(edit: and perhaps why 4 pages in a few hours, I've just noticed :hihi:)

-

It's difficult to follow from the start!

How would a right wing person help the poor/needy?

Very difficult to know what right and left wing means

most right wingers seem to be anti-benefits, but how should the addicts and low intelligence folk be helped

Edited by *_ash_*
added