Tata Steel to sell UK all assets

I've just read the entire thread, and I'm wondering how many of the posters on here would be directly affected by the closure of TATA steel? I suspect not many judging by the 'let steel fail' type posts.

I just wonder, if their opinions might be a bit different if you were about to lose your livelihood through no fault of your own.

Its not about letting it fail, its about accepting that it's already failed and trying to keep it is an exercise in futility.

But they don't.

They pay the minimum that they can get away with, whilst often aggressively avoiding UK tax. That isn't their "dues".

Facebook paid roughly one fifth of the tax that I paid in 2014. They haven't thanked me for bankrolling them yet.

You are very, very much mistaken, unless I am talking to an incredibly wealthy person.

Facebook would have paid 5.6 million in national insurance contributions on its 170 odd UK workers. VAT revenue from sales in the UK would have topped 100 million.

How much tax did you pay?

What if we need to produce more ships in the future? Buy the steel from the Chinese?

Subsidise the plants until we have a clear idea of the best options to take.

The plant is losing 1 million per day, that's a big subsidy.

I've just read the entire thread, and I'm wondering how many of the posters on here would be directly affected by the closure of TATA steel? I suspect not many judging by the 'let steel fail' type posts.

I just wonder, if their opinions might be a bit different if you were about to lose your livelihood through no fault of your own.

Of course they would be different, a lack of objectivity will do that to an opinion. I would be in favour of the tax payer subsidising me to do sweet fa all the time, doesn't mean that it would be the right think to do.

The plant is losing 1 million per day, that's a big subsidy.

Yes it is. But as I've been saying it is a fraction of the unnecessary £4.8bn subsidy just dished out to higher earners.

This government needs to get its priorities right.

---------- Post added 31-03-2016 at 10:59 ----------

And where do you store all the unwanted...

Coal

Steel

Wooden barrels

Steam engines

Oil tankers

etc etc.

And what price should we pay for iron ore to make the steel that we don't need.

I think you are still missing the point. Steel is a national strategic industry. I find it disappointing that people are so comfortable with just binning off the industry and the communities it supports.

At the very least the industry should be subsidised until a viable solution is found.

And where do you store all the unwanted...

Coal

Steel

Wooden barrels

Steam engines

Oil tankers

etc etc.

And what price should we pay for iron ore to make the steel that we don't need.

Ummm..Steel we don't need?....How come we import shed loads of it?

Why did the UK block EU plans to raise steel import tarrifs?

Interesting article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/03/30/britain-sacrifices-steel-industry-to-curry-favour-with-china/

Haven't read the article but the UK government wants the Chinese to part-fund Hinkley Point and are basically doing anything to keep that on track, including blocking EU moves to try and protect the steel industry all over the continent.

Pretty disgusting. Imagine the fun the Chinese would have with the UK if we had to negotiate our own trade deals with them outside the EU. They'd trample all over us.

Far cheaper to import the stuff than buy british made ?

Who's fault is that?...It's an industry that is the backbone of 'Great Britain'...Just watch how 'cheap' imports of any steel suddenly become bleedin' expensive following a shutdown of the British Steel industry.