Tata Steel to sell UK all assets

I think the figures suggest that China has nearly 60% of the world share in Steel production - if we were to lose our steel making capacity, it wouldn't be long before China has near monopoly status. Okay Steel prices have crashed right now, but 2 or 3 years time - Britain and other countries would be up the creek if prices start to rise.

1. The rules may not permit it but as I mentioned there is nothing to stop us supporting the plant on a temporary basis. If it was sustained then yeah we'd face an investigation which would kind of be pointless anyway if we voted for Brexit. The disingenuous bit is where people say the EU won't let us do it. There is actually nothing at all to stop us doing it as long as we know there could be a investigation/penalty/order to dispose of the company later on.

2. Whatever anti-dumping rules are in place are clearly not effective. It couldn't be clearer.

Now, here is what really scares me about a lot of Brexiters on here. It seems to me they hate British business as much as they hate the EU, and are only too happy to leave the EU and kowtow to the Chinese instead. You really couldn't make it up.

---------- Post added 31-03-2016 at 19:24 ----------

Our exports already suffer because it is already not a level playing field.

Chinese industry is subsidised to such an extent that it would be impossible for us to break into the Chinese domestic market in many cases.

Free trade, which I guess is what you are alluding to, where the Chinese are involved means they can freely dump their goods while protecting their domestic industry.

Read this, then come back and we'll have a chat

http://www.amazon.com/Free-Trade-Doesnt-Work-Replace/dp/0578079674

So, to clarify, we pay £1m a day, then a penalty (we won't leave, you know that) for a steel plant we don't need then give it to developers (Chinese or Arab) to avoid further penalties who then knock it down and build a retail park and "marina".

How am I doing so far?

EDIT - A former head of the navy was banging on how we needed steel for ship, what additional ships are we planning to build (and crewed by whom - we've got skills gaps all over the armed forces) - a large chunk of our fleet is box fresh.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_Royal_Navy_ships

Edited by tinfoilhat

So they buy from Benteler that Austrian based company who actually sources their steel from Germany such as GMH and also Swiss Steel.

Since you are obviously in the know. Go ask a steel worker from Rotherham. Wait, you don't know any as you obviously have no idea. What JLR did to the engineering steels unit in Rotherham was unforgivable.

Still no link just your lies. You really are a pathetic liar.

I have visited the Rotherham plant several times and seen the steel made from scrap and sent underground whilst still red hot to be made into suspension parts. So how about backing up your assertion ( PATHETIC LIE) that Jaguar and Land Rover don't use any steel made in the UK.

Edited by foxy lady

I think the figures suggest that China has nearly 60% of the world share in Steel production - if we were to lose our steel making capacity, it wouldn't be long before China has near monopoly status. Okay Steel prices have crashed right now, but 2 or 3 years time - Britain and other countries would be up the creek if prices start to rise.

Is this the same as what the Saudi's are hoping to achieve in the oil industry?

The Chinese are never going to put prohibitively high tariffs on high end vehicles. Where else are they going to get them from?

Next argument please....

Oh you mean a bit like the Russians did when import taxes forced VW to build cars in Russia. . The Chinese buy more Rolls Royces than anyone else in the world. It would be pretty simple to manufacture them out there and it would be very easy for Jaguar and Range Rovers to be made in India where the company's owners have their HQ.

Still no link just your lies. You really are a pathetic liar.

I have visited the Rotherham plant several times and seen the steel made from scrap and sent underground whilst still red hot to be made into suspension parts. So how about backing up your assertion ( PATHETIC LIE) that Jaguar and Land Rover don't use any steel made in the UK.

Been to Aldwarke "several" times. Makes you an expert then.

What a desperately bizarre thing to say. :loopy::loopy:

Not from where I'm sitting

1. You want to leave the EU

2. So we can make our own trade deals, including with China

3. You think we're a big enough fish to get a good deal

4. We won't, but I'm sure you'll be happy anyway because China isn't the EU

---------- Post added 31-03-2016 at 20:13 ----------

Oh you mean a bit like the Russians did when import taxes forced VW to build cars in Russia. . The Chinese buy more Rolls Royces than anyone else in the world. It would be pretty simple to manufacture them out there and it would be very easy for Jaguar and Range Rovers to be made in India where the company's owners have their HQ.

In your fantasy post-Brexit free trade nirvana that is what you are looking at anyway. You're like a turkey voting for Christmas.

So, to clarify, we pay £1m a day, then a penalty (we won't leave, you know that) for a steel plant we don't need then give it to developers (Chinese or Arab) to avoid further penalties who then knock it down and build a retail park and "marina".

How am I doing so far?

EDIT - A former head of the navy was banging on how we needed steel for ship, what additional ships are we planning to build (and crewed by whom - we've got skills gaps all over the armed forces) - a large chunk of our fleet is box fresh.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_Royal_Navy_ships

£1m a day is a small price to pay if we can save part of a strategic industry, and 15,000 livelihoods into the bargain.

We're building new Vanguard class subs, and a Trident replacement is on the cards. Both built at Barrow. You want to make them with Chinese steel?

They are making huge losses. People are not buying their product.

How long can you keep flogging such a thing.

Its struggling because steel is being made cheaper and more efficiently elsewhere. We the public demand cheaper and cheaper goods. The suppliers have to lower their bottom lines. The manufacturers have to ship out their operations abroad to cut costs.

Round and round it goes.

Banks may well be the root of all evil but Lloyds failing was not an option. People's personal finances in terms of both cash and credit facilities were tied up in there. Businesses had not only the liquid funds but their entire credit lines for stock, assets, payroll, premises tied up in there. The effects of a bank failing is far far wider than the cherry picked panto villians the press like to spread.

Its not the same thing.

Corbyn and all the union windbags doing the usual guff I see "we will not allow this to happen" "the government must protect jobs".... blah blah.

Want to keep British Jobs and British Industries. Buy British then.

Well at least Corbyn and all the Union windbags have been down to Port Talbot to meet with many of the people working there. What of the Business Secretary Sajid Javid? Any criticism of him?

While there were crisis talks happening in Port Talbot, and lobbying members of the Tata group in Mumbai; Javid, a former high level banker, has been on a family trip to Australia:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/31/sajid-javid-took-teenage-daughter-with-him-on-australia-holiday/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tata-steel-david-cameron-urged-to-intervene-amid-threat-of-40000-job-losses-in-british-steel-a6960686.html