Tata Steel to sell UK all assets

I was just thinking the same thing. What do some of these people expect to happen.

You don't just walk in to an organisation's headquarters and demand a meeting without notice or planning.

As far as I can see Javad was on an official engagement in Australia and was proposing taking some holiday after (which he is perfectly entitled to do just like any other employee)

This situation has arisen and he is now returning to the UK.

This whole thing has only emerged over the past 48/72 hours. It takes over a day just to travel back from Australia.

Multiple people in the news appear to have said this date was known months in advance as a crunch date for when things would start to happen, so if true Javid had plenty of notice so that he could have been available.

We are not permitted to do that because the EU sets the tariffs.

---------- Post added 31-03-2016 at 18:15 ----------

I thought Corus was a private company not a state owned company.

You are unbelievable sutty, honestly. How many times do you need to be told that the EU, yes the hated bloody EU, has tried REPEATEDLY to impose EU tariffs and restrictions on Chinese steel but BRITAIN, that's right the country you think can swan off out of the EU any make us all millionaires, has BLOCKED THEM. Why on earth do you think we'd suddenly impose a tariff when we've worked so hard to stop the EU bringing one in? Broken flaming record you really are.

You are unbelievable sutty, honestly. How many times do you need to be told that the EU, yes the hated bloody EU, has tried REPEATEDLY to impose EU tariffs and restrictions on Chinese steel but BRITAIN, that's right the country you think can swan off out of the EU any make us all millionaires, has BLOCKED THEM. Why on earth do you think we'd suddenly impose a tariff when we've worked so hard to stop the EU bringing one in? Broken flaming record you really are.

Also I read this morning that the germans abolished green energy tariffs (i.e. the extra you pay for electricity to subsidise renewable energy etc) for steel makers to make them more competitive. Why didn't Tata get similar breaks from the UK government to help them?

Also I read this morning that the germans abolished green energy tariffs (i.e. the extra you pay for electricity to subsidise renewable energy etc) for steel makers to make them more competitive. Why didn't Tata get similar breaks from the UK government to help them?

They did, the government gave them rebates to help cover the cost of energy.

I think the answer to both questions is that it is simply pointless and counter productive. There is no point putting in special energy tarrifs if they don't stop the rot. If a company is losing £1000,000/day you could halve everyones wages and it wouldn't alter the inevitable. But it would put a further burden on companies that are currently managing to struggle by.

Neither would it help putting restrictions on imports of Chinese steel. That would simply increase costs to UK industry that uses steel and wouldn't help a company that can't export steel to America because of their tarrif system. But what it would do is bring in similar restrictions on UK exports to China, again hitting our healthy industry. Most likely luxury cars where China is a massive market.

I'm surprised no one has sasked that if Government were to help out Tata, what would happen to executive pay. Would folk in the UK on minimum wage be expected to fork out more money from their various taxes to fund the salaries of the many in Tata who are paid in excess of £100,000 to manufacture steel at a huge loss?

Edited by foxy lady

I think the answer to both questions is that it is simply pointless and counter productive. There is no point putting in special energy tarrifs if they don't stop the rot. If a company is losing £1000,000/day you could halve everyones wages and it wouldn't alter the inevitable. But it would put a further burden on companies that are currently managing to struggle by.

Neither would it help putting restrictions on imports of Chinese steel. That would simply increase costs to UK industry that uses steel and wouldn't help a company that can't export steel to America because of their tarrif system. But what it would do is bring in similar restrictions on UK exports to China, again hitting our healthy industry. Most likely luxury cars where China is a massive market.

I'm surprised no one has sasked that if Government were to help out Tata, what would happen to executive pay. Would folk in the UK on minimum wage be expected to fork out more money from their various taxes to fund the salaries of the many in Tata who are paid in excess of £100,000 to manufacture steel at a huge loss?

What is different in Germany though? Why are their steel companies not going under? Or are they about to go under too?

It wouldn't have mattered if we hadn't because another 13 EU countries also blocked it.

There's a delightful symmetry here:

John McDonnell has the Chinese Communist Manifesto in his pocket;

George Osborne is manifestly in the pocket of the Chinese Communists.

I wished I could claim credit for writing that, but it was posted in one of this mornings papers

It wouldn't have mattered if we hadn't because another 13 EU countries also blocked it.

So now your argument is that if we weren't in the EU we would have imposed tariffs because others blocked while we were in the EU including ourselves? Not sure that one really works to be honest. Next you'll be telling me that UKIP serve the UKs interests in the EU by turning up to key votes in which we had vetos and securing those vetos won't you. Or will you admit that our fisherman are shafted pretty solely due to Farage?

Hopefully the FT is a good enough source for you:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/85563e82-8f44-11e3-be85-00144feab7de.html