Tata Steel to sell UK all assets

What is different in Germany though? Why are their steel companies not going under? Or are they about to go under too?

Tata steel is the old NATIONALISED British Steel Corporation, and took over BSC's liabilities. You should perhaps look into the liabilities of the BSC pension fund before jumping to conclusions. £2 billion deficit by the way, and to think the unions called a strike less than a year ago about protecting the unsustainable benefits.

Then there is company debt. Tata apparently has debts of around £11 billion which have to be funded.

Edited by foxy lady

So now your argument is that if we weren't in the EU we would have imposed tariffs because others blocked while we were in the EU including ourselves? Not sure that one really works to be honest. Next you'll be telling me that UKIP serve the UKs interests in the EU by turning up to key votes in which we had vetos and securing those vetos won't you. Or will you admit that our fisherman are shafted pretty solely due to Forage?

Hopefully the FT is a good enough source for you:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/85563e82-8f44-11e3-be85-00144feab7de.html

No I'm arguing that if we wasn't in the EU the UK electorate could give power to Jeremy Corbyn and he could then impose tariffs, but whilst we are in the EU we can give him some power but he still wouldn't be able to impose tarries.

Our fisherman are shafted by the EU, and Forage couldn't change that even if he wanted to.

Greenland changed it by leaving the EC.

Edited by sutty27

No I'm arguing that if we wasn't in the EU the UK electorate could give power to Jeremy Corbyn and he could then impose tariffs, but whilst we are in the EU we can give him some power but he still wouldn't be able to impose tarries.

Our fisherman are shafted by the EU, and Forage couldn't change that even if he wanted to.

Greenland changed it by leaving the EC.

Yes he could. He held the deciding vote and surprise surprise wasn't there. Perhaps he was having a pint instead.

No I'm arguing that if we wasn't in the EU the UK electorate could give power to Jeremy Corbyn and he could then impose tariffs
:o

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :hihi::hihi::hihi:

sutty's bad faith in debate clearly knows no bounds, and the man has no shame what-so-ever :D

Edited by L00b

Yes he could. He held the deciding vote and surprise surprise wasn't there. Perhaps he was having a pint instead.

Evidence please.

UKIP will withdraw from the Common Fisheries Policy and EU control over our fishing grounds.

UKIP will reclaim our territorial fishing waters, restore our fishing fleet and introduce sustainable fishing practices.

Edited by sutty27

UKIP will withdraw from the Common Fisheries Policy and EU control over our fishing grounds.

UKIP will reclaim our territorial fishing waters, restore our fishing fleet and introduce sustainable fishing practices.

They actually need to turn up to votes to do any of that. I don't give a flying fig what they plan to do if they ever get more than a leftover bone's worth of power, but the fishermen who got shafted because the UKIP MEPs can't be arsed to turn up are pretty ****** off right now.

Trying to say that they refuse to work with the EU because they don't believe in it is disgusting. They have a position of power and they MUST use it responsibly not playing expenses bingo. People like you and me are getting royally screwed thanks to UKIP and yet you still seem to see they are like a bastion of truth. I'd give them a small amount of credit if they worked with the EU the best they could to get a good deal for the UK while still campaigning against it. Why can't they do that? Of course, that actually requires a) some skill b) some effort c) some basic integrity.

---------- Post added 01-04-2016 at 10:58 ----------

Evidence please.

You are right, it wasn't the deciding vote. For some reason I thought we had a veto on this, but appears I was wrong. Post above is still 100% relevant though.

What being the Business Secretary, and a member of the Government? I thought that was paid out of the public purse. Unless they've privatised the Government....

Well I was about to answer but ECCOnoob kindly already summed it up in post number 206.

Also I read this morning that the germans abolished green energy tariffs (i.e. the extra you pay for electricity to subsidise renewable energy etc) for steel makers to make them more competitive. Why didn't Tata get similar breaks from the UK government to help them?

I have read that electricity is only 6% of steel production costs, and 'green energy taxes' are less than 10% of that.

So the cost of the green taxes amounts to 0.6%, have I got my figures correct?

And any other green taxes, the Government refunds the steel industry; so I guess this problem is all about Chinese cheap steel and the UKs high employment costs, which will be rising with the £9 per hour minimum wage.

They actually need to turn up to votes to do any of that. I don't give a flying fig what they plan to do if they ever get more than a leftover bone's worth of power, but the fishermen who got shafted because the UKIP MEPs can't be arsed to turn up are pretty ****** off right now.

Trying to say that they refuse to work with the EU because they don't believe in it is disgusting. They have a position of power and they MUST use it responsibly not playing expenses bingo. People like you and me are getting royally screwed thanks to UKIP and yet you still seem to see they are like a bastion of truth. I'd give them a small amount of credit if they worked with the EU the best they could to get a good deal for the UK while still campaigning against it. Why can't they do that? Of course, that actually requires a) some skill b) some effort c) some basic integrity.

---------- Post added 01-04-2016 at 10:58 ----------

You are right, it wasn't the deciding vote. For some reason I thought we had a veto on this, but appears I was wrong. Post above is still 100% relevant though.

No the point is they can only do that if they are elected into government and then leave the EU, turning up to vote on new EU powers is mostly pointless because they will be out voted.

They would still have been shafted if UKIP turned up, UKIP is the only party that wants out of the EU so they are the only party that doesn't support the shafting of our fishermen.

UKIP aren't screwing us, the EU is screwing us, UKIP are campaigning to leave the EU, if they win and we leave they give up their EU pay and expenses, now that sounds selfless to me.

Edited by sutty27