Tata Steel to sell UK all assets

Point of interest, Donald trump of all people is going to put all sorts of barriers to stop cheap Chinese imports. Does he have a point? Could the EU do that, and should they?

Already do. Far far too late and too slow to make a difference to UK steel, which is likely the most expensive in the EU.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-16-287_en.htm

Point of interest, Donald trump of all people is going to put all sorts of barriers to stop cheap Chinese imports. Does he have a point? Could the EU do that, and should they?

Tinfoilhat.

Have a look at this link.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/12129002/Europe-fights-back-against-cheap-steel-levying-13pc-tax-on-Chinese-imports.html

I don't like Trump's politics. But he might have a point viz-a-viz Chinese imports.

I'd like to read what you think in respect of "should they".

My gut reaction to, "should they," is to say ,yes they should. My reasoning is that I hope such action would save jobs.

I just heard on the news that there are EU restrictions as to how much a government is allowed to support (prop up) a company.

Another reason we should vote to get OUT!

And did you hear that our Government blocked the EU efforts to negate the effects on our steel industry of the Chinese dumping steel on the market?

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/feb/10/david-cameron-accused-failing-uk-steel-industry-blocking-eu-lesser-duty-proposal

Sajid Javid, the business secretary, said it would not be right for the EU to scrap regulations known as the “lesser duty rule”, which some countries want to end in order to allow higher tariffs on Chinese steel.

But Javid said getting rid of the rule would lead to higher prices for UK consumers of steel, as the current arrangements balance the interests of producers and buyers of a product.

So our Government chose keeping the price low thanks to the Chinese flooding of the market over protecting our industry by making Chinese steel more expensive to buy... so yet another thing we're actually responsible for that we're choosing to blame on the EU because it is convenient.

Edited by Funky_Gibbon

Banks failing was not only an option, it was the correct option. Economically and morally.

I'm sorry but that is 100% wrong.

The failing bad banks would have brought the complete collapse of our banking industry if they were were allowed to go bankrupt. Imagine waking up and not having access to any of your card services to access your money and the damage that that would have done for society. Imagine what would happen to businesses if all their credit access was removed.

I'm sorry but that is 100% wrong.

The failing bad banks would have brought the complete collapse of our banking industry if they were were allowed to go bankrupt. Imagine waking up and not having access to any of your card services to access your money and the damage that that would have done for society. Imagine what would happen to businesses if all their credit access was removed.

Iceland seemed to get over it :thumbsup:

I don't think that you understand what the Iceland banking collapse entailed and how they were able to 'get over it'.

Their situation wasn't comparable to the UK's banking.

I hear this all the time about all different things and how its allways different from the uk. so can you give me an insight of how they got over it and why we wouldn't be able to do the same ?