Tata Steel to sell UK all assets

Presumably we'd have to nationalise all the UK industries that use steel, make them buy UK steel to keep the steel industry afloat and have taxes subsidise all these nationalised industries so the consumer doesn't have to pay through the nose for steel products and keep inflation down.

Sounds like the 1970s doesn't it.

Edit: and the Corbyn manifesto. Which ignores the fact the EU won't allow the steel industry to be nationalised as it's against competition rules.

So you would expect that the New Forth Bridge is being built exclusively from UK sourced steel.

Something has gone wrong in the world. Tories are talking about nationalisation...I never thought I'd live to hear the day, if it happens then I shall doff one's cap at them for pragmatism over ideology. Something I wish more politicians of all flavours would do.

Some may say that it is evolution when industry closes.Redcar and now Wales are affected,but the closeure at Parkgate will affect Rotherham so much more in my opinion.Being a small town really between the likes of Sheffield,Barnsley and Doncaster its main income was Steel ,Engineering and Coal.The possible demise of Steel now takes away its last form of real income.It makes me so sad how my old town has got to go through more turmoil and trauma.I just hope that something is done to stop this from happening.

Some may say that it is evolution when industry closes.Redcar and now Wales are affected,but the closeure at Parkgate will affect Rotherham so much more in my opinion.Being a small town really between the likes of Sheffield,Barnsley and Doncaster its main income was Steel ,Engineering and Coal.The possible demise of Steel now takes away its last form of real income.It makes me so sad how my old town has got to go through more turmoil and trauma.I just hope that something is done to stop this from happening.

You know where Redcar is and how big it is right?

And yet, we managed to treat the basket case that was the financial sevices industry in a totally different way.

We are also incredibly protectionist towards the legal profession.

Let's sit back and ponder that for a moment.

True.

Part of the problem is that energy prices are twice what they are in the USA and four times what they are in Norway, so our steel producers are behind the eight ball from the off.

As for nationalising steel, the EU wants "competition" within industries, which is pretty difficult if the industry is nationalised.

True.

Part of the problem is that energy prices are twice what they are in the USA and four times what they are in Norway, so our steel producers are behind the eight ball from the off.

As for nationalising steel, the EU wants "competition" within industries, which is pretty difficult if the industry is nationalised.

Didn't port talbot want to build its own power station? That would help I guess but not a cheap thing to build.

Yes it did. http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/tata-gets-planning-permission-power-10570489

True.

Isn't the USA able to keep it's energy costs down because of fracking? But the folk around Swansea Bay were up in arms when it was suggested exploiting the gas reserves under the sea.

Edited by foxy lady