Tata Steel to sell UK all assets

Something has gone wrong in the world. Tories are talking about nationalisation...I never thought I'd live to hear the day, if it happens then I shall doff one's cap at them for pragmatism over ideology. Something I wish more politicians of all flavours would do.

I know. It's getting that you don't know who to vote for these days.

Some may say that it is evolution when industry closes.Redcar and now Wales are affected,but the closeure at Parkgate will affect Rotherham so much more in my opinion.Being a small town really between the likes of Sheffield,Barnsley and Doncaster its main income was Steel ,Engineering and Coal.The possible demise of Steel now takes away its last form of real income.It makes me so sad how my old town has got to go through more turmoil and trauma.I just hope that something is done to stop this from happening.

The writing has been on the wall for steel for the last 20 years. It was a finacially wobbly industry well before China started producing it so cheaply. So what have the leaders of Rotherham (and other steel constituency's) been doing to attract other streams of employment?

Oh that's right bugger all because they know that those workers traditionally vote Labour. And now that those jobs have gone/going they can start peddling the tale that the only people to blame for the closures and now employment oblivion is the Tories.

These parasites have no interest in looking after their electorates they are only interested in the perpetuation of Labour votes.

The writing has been on the wall for steel for the last 20 years. It was a finacially wobbly industry well before China started producing it so cheaply. So what have the leaders of Rotherham (and other steel constituency's) been doing to attract other streams of employment?

Oh that's right bugger all because they know that those workers traditionally vote Labour. And now that those jobs have gone/going they can start peddling the tale that the only people to blame for the closures and now employment oblivion is the Tories.

These parasites have no interest in looking after their electorates they are only interested in the perpetuation of Labour votes.

Yes but Corbyn was going to buy out the steelworks and run them with magic money. That's the stuff he had left over from reversing the cuts, paying off the debts, increasing pay across the NHS, increasing welfare payments, employing more police, nurses and doctors and building unarmed trident submarines.

The media are all blaming China for the demise of the U.K. steel industry, but an analyst on the radio this morning said that we buy eight times more steel from the Europe than we buy from China. He seemed to be saying that the main problem was high energy cost mainly due to green subsidies making it impossible for steel producers in the UK to compete.

Perhaps I'd have more sympathy for the folk who work at Tata Steel if the car parks weren't stuffed with Volkswagens, Renaults and Citreon that were imported after being made with foreign steel.

Our market is flooded with foreign steel because the British public make the decision to buy things made from foreign steel.

If you were a British dairy farmer would you be buying imported French cheese?

I suppose that goes for our David as well, just remind us who makes Jaguar.

Who but a loony would purchase a business that is loosing a million quid every week, the future of Port Talbot looks grim.

Does Rotherham, Stocksbridge or Scunny make brass, or are they like PT a money pit. If so they will be lucky to survive this latest catastrophe.

It would be a little ironic, Stocksbridge with a big new shopping complex due to open, and the works maybe having to shut up shop. A disaster for clanktown and district.

Angel1.

The loss of a million quid a week has been bandied about but as yet I have yet to hear what this million quid loss is down to.I fail to see that is totally down to sales

I heard on the radio though that when there was a threat to the cheap steel landing in the USA apparently it took months to increase tax on imported steel .

The fact that we failed to react to such a threat is beyond me.:confused:

It seems to me that the increase in apprenticeships may be of no use for this area,and its looking even worse for any steel from this area being used in HS2.

I seem to be slow in understanding how this Northern Power House is to work.:loopy:

The loss of a million quid a week has been bandied about but as yet I have yet to hear what this million quid loss is down to.I fail to see that is totally down to sales

I heard on the radio though that when there was a threat to the cheap steel landing in the USA apparently it took months to increase tax on imported steel .

It seems to me that the increase in apprenticeships may be of no use for this area,and its looking even worse for any steel from this area being used in HS2.

I seem to be slow in understanding how this Northern Power House is to work.:loopy:

Maybe the government is worried about the cost to the rest of industry if the price of steel was increased?

The figure is a million quid a day not a week.