Crows and Magpies nest

Pair of Magpies and pair of Crows using same nest

Have just discovered that crows have a nest 100 metres away in another tree but they wont leave magpies alone I think crows are taking twigs from magpie nest and taking them to their nest as magpie nest seems to be getting smaller and crows nest is getting bigger! :suspect:

---------- Post added 05-04-2016 at 09:06 ----------

No don't agree Other members of crow family have their individual names eg magpie raven jackdaw etc

Therefore if you talk about a crow it is understood that this is Carrion Crow :rolleyes:

I think you are wrong here. check out the RSPB link I provided.

Magpies are a member of the Corvidae (crow) family. Using the word crow you are not describing a bird, but rather the birds family.

I suspect what you mean by crow is either the carrion crow or the Rook. Saying crow can mean, Magpie, Jay, Jackdaw etc etc.

You are strangely ridiculous!!! :loopy:

No, you just are incapable of accepting when you are wrong :roll:

First of all a Magpie was not a crow according to you .. wrong

Second other members of crow family have individual names, so a Carrion crow is a crow. Wrong again.

I suggest you go back and read the link to the RSPB website I provided.

I said a magpie is a member of Crow family but it is called a magpie and other members of crow family have individual names eg Raven Chough Rook Jay etc

If you talk about a crow everyone will know what bird you are referring to.

Pedant a person who adheres rigidly to book knowledge without regard to common sense. That's you that is!!

I doubt that anyone else would agree with you so you stick to your own opinion. I am not discussing this any further

you

No, you just are incapable of accepting when you are wrong :roll:

First of all a Magpie was not a crow according to you .. wrong

Second other members of crow family have individual names, so a Carrion crow is a crow. Wrong again.

I suggest you go back and read the link to the RSPB website I provided.

Edited by markfor

I said a magpie is a member of Crow family but it is called a magpie and other members of crow family have individual names eg Raven Chough Rook etc If you talk about a crow everyone will know what bird you are referring to.

Pedant a person who adheres rigidly to book knowledge without regard to common sense. That's you that is!!

I doubt that anyone else would agree with you so you stick to your own opinion. I am not discussing this any further

you

I don't see anyone agreeing with you markfor while it was Alan Hartley who pointed out first that you were wrong when describing a magpie as not a crow.

When someone points out where you have made a mistake, you need to assimilate that knowledge and have some humility. The result is you will grow as a person which is only ever a good thing.

Common sense prevails children!

Magpies, Jays, Hoodies, Carrions, magpies etc are zoologically, all members of the crow family.

However, if you see birds flying you would describe them as

black thingies (rooks and carrions) as crows

magpies as magpies

jays as jays etc.

simples!

now kiss and make up

Thank you hyper You have some common sense

If you say to someone I saw a crow in a tree do people think you are talking about a magpie!!! No

All these birds are members of crow family but have individual names You would not call a Jay a Crow !

Have a look at other posts by Berberis and you can see what he's like. He has made over 10000 posts

Common sense prevails children!

Magpies, Jays, Hoodies, Carrions, magpies etc are zoologically, all members of the crow family.

However, if you see birds flying you would describe them as

black thingies (rooks and carrions) as crows

magpies as magpies

jays as jays etc.

simples!

now kiss and make up

---------- Post added 09-04-2016 at 07:54 ----------

See Magpies working on nest Look up 5 minutes later and Crows are back They will not leave Magpies alone!:huh:

---------- Post added 09-04-2016 at 14:17 ----------

Pedant pendant

Is this a reference to Magpies collecting bright objects and jewelry??:hihi:

Can I be a pendant and say that Magpies are crows? :D

Look forward to seeing you hanging from Mr.T's neck sometime in the future :)

---------- Post added 13-04-2016 at 08:01 ----------

Magpies are tough

They seem to have built up nest even though crows pestering them every 10 minutes! :hihi:

---------- Post added 14-04-2016 at 13:33 ----------

http://www.birdnature.com/bclassmain.html

Edited by markfor

• 1 month later...
I think you are wrong here. check out the RSPB link I provided.

Magpies are a member of the Corvidae (crow) family. Using the word crow you are not describing a bird, but rather the birds family.

I suspect what you mean by crow is either the carrion crow or the Rook. Saying crow can mean, Magpie, Jay, Jackdaw etc etc.

Magpies are not crows nor are rooks jays and ravens, and american crow is the same as a british carrrion crow, magpies jays rooks ravens are corvids, the word corvid means any of a family (Corvidae) of passerine birds typically having a stout bill, strong legs, omnivorous eating-habits, and open nests and displaying aggressive behavior, including the crows, jays, and magpies

---------- Post added 10-05-2016 at 10:25 ----------

Fascinating! I look forward to hearing the outcome of this :)

crows often build two nest, one is a decoy could it not be that the magpies are after stealing the eggs from the crows?

---------- Post added 10-05-2016 at 10:35 ----------

Pair of Magpies and pair of Crows using same nest

Have just discovered that crows have a nest 100 metres away in another tree but they wont leave magpies alone I think crows are taking twigs from magpie nest and taking them to their nest as magpie nest seems to be getting smaller and crows nest is getting bigger! :suspect:

---------- Post added 05-04-2016 at 09:06 ----------

No don't agree Other members of crow family have their individual names eg magpie raven jackdaw etc

Therefore if you talk about a crow it is understood that this is Carrion Crow :rolleyes:

Magpies are not crows nor are rooks jays and ravens, and american crow is the same as a british carrrion crow, magpies jays rooks ravens are corvids, the word corvid means any of a family (Corvidae) of passerine birds typically having a stout bill, strong legs, omnivorous eating-habits, and open nests and displaying aggressive behavior, including the crows, jays, and magpies. i have been studying crows for the past 7 years, a magpie is not a crow but a corvid as is the crow magpie jackdaw rook jay raven

---------- Post added 10-05-2016 at 12:41 ----------

Can I be a pedant and say that Magpies are crows? :D

I'd be interested to know the outcome of this; Magpie nest are quite distinct from Carrion Crow nests. They're a lot deeper.

carrion simply means rotting meat thats why crows and ravens are linked with graveyards and halloween etc but it simply means they will eat roadkills and such as do all the corvids, magpies are certainly not crows they are just from the same group...Crows usually if a loan pair will build 2 nests one is a decoy, it's likely the magpies are after the crows young...magpies/crows if you say a magpie is a crow then a jackdaw is a raven!!!!! and it certainly is not. they are all different species of bird categorised in the same group ie.. other birds with the same type of habits.