Crows and Magpies nest

carrion simply means rotting meat thats why crows and ravens are linked with graveyards and halloween etc but it simply means they will eat roadkills and such as do all the corvids, magpies are certainly not crows they are just from the same group...Crows usually if a loan pair will build 2 nests one is a decoy, it's likely the magpies are after the crows young...magpies/crows if you say a magpie is a crow then a jackdaw is a raven!!!!! and it certainly is not. they are all different species of bird categorised in the same group ie.. other birds with the same type of habits.

I was into ornithology when I was a kid so I know the various bird groups like Gulls, Thrushes, Finches, Tits and Sparrows, etc, and I can tell you that Carrion Crows, Rooks, Jackdaw's, Ravens, Jay's, Magpies, Hooded crows and Chough's, belong, as you say, to the Crow group, and that, by definition makes them all crows.

Edited by Guest

Good I am glad you agree It is common sense

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 08:16 ----------

Berberis You just dont get it do you?? :rant:

No, you just are incapable of accepting when you are wrong :roll:

First of all a Magpie was not a crow according to you .. wrong

Second other members of crow family have individual names, so a Carrion crow is a crow. Wrong again.

I suggest you go back and read the link to the RSPB website I provided.

Edited by markfor

[/color]

Magpies are not crows nor are rooks jays and ravens, and american crow is the same as a british carrrion crow, magpies jays rooks ravens are corvids, the word corvid means any of a family (Corvidae) of passerine birds typically having a stout bill, strong legs, omnivorous eating-habits, and open nests and displaying aggressive behavior, including the crows, jays, and magpies. i have been studying crows for the past 7 years, a magpie is not a crow but a corvid as is the crow magpie jackdaw rook jay raven

---------- Post added 10-05-2016 at 12:41 ----------

carrion simply means rotting meat thats why crows and ravens are linked with graveyards and halloween etc but it simply means they will eat roadkills and such as do all the corvids, magpies are certainly not crows they are just from the same group...Crows usually if a loan pair will build 2 nests one is a decoy, it's likely the magpies are after the crows young...magpies/crows if you say a magpie is a crow then a jackdaw is a raven!!!!! and it certainly is not. they are all different species of bird categorised in the same group ie.. other birds with the same type of habits.

you wouldnt call your puppy a wolf would you? or your kitten a tiger? They are from the same group..Corvids are all different species of bird from the same family of birds meaning they have likewise behaviour and eating habits ect, the dna structure is entirely different, you wouldnt call all waterfowl ducks would you? regardless of you saying they are all the from the crow family as thats true, but it dosent mean all corvids are crows..

you wouldnt call your puppy a wolf would you? or your kitten a tiger? They are from the same group..Corvids are all different species of bird from the same family of birds meaning they have likewise behaviour and eating habits ect, the dna structure is entirely different, you wouldnt call all waterfowl ducks would you? regardless of you saying they are all the from the crow family as thats true, but it dosent mean all corvids are crows..

I'm sorry but your logic and reasoning is faulty. The DNA structure of birds in the same group is not ENTIRELY different, its the same or similar, that's kind of why they're grouped together as they are. Just because a Magpie has different habits to a Rook they're still both Crows. I have different habits to you I'm sure, but we're both humans.

It seems to me you're far to focused on the word "crow" being present or not in the naming of a bird. Because Magpies are not named "Magpie crows", to you, they're not crows, which with all due respect is just silly.

Edited by Guest

I'm sorry but your logic and reasoning is faulty. The DNA structure of birds in the same group is not ENTIRELY different, its the same or similar, that's kind of why they're grouped together as they are. Just because a Magpie has different habits to a Rook they're still both Crows. I have different habits to you I'm sure, but we're both humans.

It seems to me you're far to focused on the word "crow" being present or not in the naming of a bird. Because Magpies are not named "Magpie crows", to you, they're not crows, which with all due respect is just silly.

i have just spoken to my friend who runs a corvid rescue also worked for 17 years for the rspb, the reason the term is The crow family'' this being the reason you think the birds in the corvid groups are crows is for the simple fact that the carrion crow american crow common crow are known almost worldwide, if it was any other of the corvids that are known throughout the world then it would be the raven family or the magpie family..It seems you thinkyou know more than the experts, and so this is pointless.. i doubt you will ever admit you are wrong.

i have just spoken to my friend who runs a corvid rescue also worked for 17 years for the rspb, the reason the term is The crow family'' this being the reason you think the birds in the corvid groups are crows is for the simple fact that the carrion crow american crow common crow are known almost worldwide, if it was any other of the corvids that are known throughout the world then it would be the raven family or the magpie family..It seems you thinkyou know more than the experts, and so this is pointless.. i doubt you will ever admit you are wrong.

I don't have a closed mind on anything. I'll admit when I'm wrong. I'm just going on what I've understood to be the case regarding Crows/the Crow family according to what I've been exposed to.

That said, for all intents and purposes, for me, Magpies are crows. ;)

Edited by Guest

]Common sense prevails children![/b]

Magpies, Jays, Hoodies, Carrions, magpies etc are zoologically, all members of the crow family.

However, if you see birds flying you would describe them as

black thingies (rooks and carrions) as crows

magpies as magpies

jays as jays etc.

simples!

now kiss and make up

Hahaha!...:thumbsup:

For the people that dont understand bird classification

Ravens Magpies Jays Carrion Crow Jackdaw etc are all members of the Crow family Corvidae

If you see a Jay you don't call it a crow. It is a Jay

Carrion Crow usually called a Crow

:cool:

---------- Post added 12-05-2016 at 07:50 ----------

Well said Hear hear