Did we settle or invade Australia?

If it's empty "settle". If it's already populated "invade and steal". It's not difficult to understand the difference.

Australia was mostly unoccupied by humans unless you are saying that one human can lay claim to an inter continent. I challenge you to find a country that is now governed and occupied by just the descendants of the very first human settlers. What you will find is that they have all been fought over, won and lost since humans left Africa.

It was occupied by a nomadic indigenous people. Not just 1 human, so don't be ridiculous.

You're correct that many countries have been invaded. England was invaded by the Normans for example in 1066 and they became the rulers.

Do you prefer to say that they "settled" here, in case you accidentally make some French person feel responsible for it?

It was occupied by a nomadic indigenous people. Not just 1 human, so don't be ridiculous.

You're correct that many countries have been invaded. England was invaded by the Normans for example in 1066 and they became the rulers.

Do you prefer to say that they "settled" here, in case you accidentally make some French person feel responsible for it?

That's a terrible example.

To settle somewhere is to make somewhere your permanent home, so if they landed and built home they did indeed settle here.

But did just one group of people originally step foot on Australia or was it multiple groups, there was after all hundreds of different tribes speaking hundreds of different languages, very likely they fought each other as well as anyone one else that tried to settle in Australia.

If you are white, Australia was settled which is why we celebrate Australia Day on January 26th.

If you are Aboriginal and your ancestors were hunted for sport, then Australia was invaded, which is why we commemorate Invasion Day on January 26th.

When other nationalities kill people en mass, it is generally called genocide. When the English did it in Australia it was, for the most part, 'sport' or 'hunting'.

To put it plainly, the English were the cause of the ENTIRE native community in Tasmanian to be wiped off the face of the earth. Every. Single. One.

I don't think it is 'changing history' but integrating the histories.

In the 80's and early 90's 'history' in schools were still very much an English History lesson.

In the late 90's and 2000's, history lessons changed to become more Australian history. The knock on effect from that is, people have realised the impact 'settlement' had on the native people and now society is changing because of that awareness.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_of_Indigenous_Australians

Edited by Scozzie

I really wish modern day wannabe historians and commentators could actually grasp a sense of perspective sometimes, the apologist nonsense some people like to spout these days is astounding ..... IMHO !

The Google generation

The Google generation

Open your eyes .......

Edited by Michael_W

I really wish modern day wannabe historians and commentators could actually grasp a sense of perspective sometimes, the apologist nonsense some people like to spout these days is astounding ..... IMHO !

The Google generation

The Google generation

Open your eyes .......

I didn't bring my school text books with me when I moved to the the UK, and in the absence of an Australian History section in Dronfield library, I've had to rely on my memories, my friends and Google for information.

I didn't bring my school text books with me when I moved to the the UK, and in the absence of an Australian History section in Dronfield library, I've had to rely on my memories, my friends and Google for information.

Precisely, your not 250 years old, so no matter what you have read or remember, subjective history will rarely give true perspective.