National Living Wage.

My partner moved her mother into her own home for a couple of years. While my partner was at work carers visited twice a day, (morning/afternoon). This worked ok until mothers condition deteriorated to the point she was leaving the house and wandering about. Also, you have to remember when a persons safety is compromised, responsibility can be taken out of your hands by the Social Services.

My partner is a single parent with a very stressful job. What would you suggest she does- go part time? Pack her job in?

If she's your partner, does that make her not single?

I take your point though. Towards the end of his life my dad needed two carers to move and a nurse 4 times a day.

It's our health service you see, it's just two damn successful. The heart attack my dad had in his early 60s would have killed him 40 years ago. Less industrial illnesses etc etc.

Thank you for saving me from typing that lot out. ;)

---------- Post added 04-04-2016 at 16:42 ----------

Just to add, if I was stumping out £500 a week for granny to be cared for in an home, I would pack work in and have the £62 because then I am affectively being paid £564 a week, the £500 that I'm not paying out and the £64 I am receiving.

Would Granny be comfortable with you delivering personal care (assuming your a man). Or do you think it doesn't matter because granny may be right up in cloud cuckoo land, so she doesn't know any better. If so, then that's granny dignity and pride right up the spout.

---------- Post added 05-04-2016 at 23:38 ----------

The Germans are shipping their old folk out to Philippines - it's cheaper. If you've got Alzheimer's and don't know where you are and what day it is anyway it won't make a difference where you are, as long as you're looked after.

I bet you wouldn't want and say this about your own mother.

---------- Post added 05-04-2016 at 23:49 ----------

If she's your partner, does that make her not single?

I take your point though. Towards the end of his life my dad needed two carers to move and a nurse 4 times a day.

It's our health service you see, it's just two damn successful. The heart attack my dad had in his early 60s would have killed him 40 years ago. Less industrial illnesses etc etc.

I don't live with my partner. Better this way.:D Forgot to say in my last post....My partners mum would often leave the gas cooker on, (BOOM!) Could so easily have happened, and i bet the insurance company wouldn't have paid out.

My argument isn't the cost of care homes. It's Sutty thinking everyone should be able to work all week and care for elderly parent/s.:loopy:

As i've stated before on here, i know how much Social Care costs, (it's my job to know).

Edited by GLASGOWOODS

Would Granny be comfortable with you delivering personal care (assuming your a man). Or do you think it doesn't matter because granny may be right up in cloud cuckoo land, so she doesn't know any better. If so, then that's granny dignity and pride right up the spout.

Ah you've edited

My dad had Lewis body dementia, sadly from time to time he new exactly where he was and what was happening to him. It was truly awful.

However many people with Alzheimer's haven't got a clue where they are. I remember watching an interview with a former itv new reporter whose name escapes me, where he told a tale where every time he took his wife back to her room in her care home it was like the first time she'd ever been in it - every day. My grandad was unaware he had moved from London. If you are in a care home where a lot of the care workers are Filipino (I've read enough of your posts to know this isn't news to you) is it that much of stretch to suggest if it's cheaper and they're well cared for to send them to the Philippines? And it's not me, it's the Germans - I'll find the BBC link.

Ah you've edited

My dad had Lewis body dementia, sadly from time to time he new exactly where he was and what was happening to him. It was truly awful.

However many people with Alzheimer's haven't got a clue where they are. I remember watching an interview with a former itv new reporter whose name escapes me, where he told a tale where every time he took his wife back to her room in her care home it was like the first time she'd ever been in it - every day. My grandad was unaware he had moved from London. If you are in a care home where a lot of the care workers are Filipino (I've read enough of your posts to know this isn't news to you) is it that much of stretch to suggest if it's cheaper and they're well cared for to send them to the Philippines? And it's not me, it's the Germans - I'll find the BBC link.

I've seen the story before and it is interesting.

I guess if someone said to me tomorro,(bearing in mind my chances of getting Dementia) 'howz about moving to Spain for an all inclusive last few years to your life.? I think i'd jump at it.

The though of going into a care home today, with all the abuse that you hear in the media is frightening, especially if you have no family to keep an eye on you.

I think assisted suicide should be made legal, I know a lot of people are going to say that it could be abused, but I wonder how many countries in Europe allow euthanasia? I would have thought government would have legalised assisted suicide, after all they are trying to save money.

My partner moved her mother into her own home for a couple of years. While my partner was at work carers visited twice a day, (morning/afternoon). This worked ok until mothers condition deteriorated to the point she was leaving the house and wandering about. Also, you have to remember when a persons safety is compromised, responsibility can be taken out of your hands by the Social Services.

My partner is a single parent with a very stressful job. What would you suggest she does- go part time? Pack her job in?

I also think my partners tax/ins deductions (around 1.7k a month) should go a long way to fund Health n Social Care. What do you think?

They would depend on how much they earn and how much her mother is paying for care.

---------- Post added 06-04-2016 at 06:56 ----------

---------- Post added 05-04-2016 at 23:49 ----------

I don't live with my partner. Better this way.:D Forgot to say in my last post....My partners mum would often leave the gas cooker on, (BOOM!) Could so easily have happened, and i bet the insurance company wouldn't have paid out.

My argument isn't the cost of care homes. It's Sutty thinking everyone should be able to work all week and care for elderly parent/s.:loopy:

As i've stated before on here, i know how much Social Care costs, (it's my job to know).

Sutty doesn't think everyone should be able to work all week and care for elderly parent, sutty thinks if you can't or don't want to do it, pay someone else to do it, but don't expect everyone else to pay for it.

---------- Post added 06-04-2016 at 07:01 ----------

The though of going into a care home today, with all the abuse that you hear in the media is frightening, especially if you have no family to keep an eye on you.

I think assisted suicide should be made legal, I know a lot of people are going to say that it could be abused, but I wonder how many countries in Europe allow euthanasia? I would have thought government would have legalised assisted suicide, after all they are trying to save money.

According to Wiki

As of October 2015 , human euthanasia is legal in the Netherlands, Belgium, Ireland, Colombia and Luxembourg. Assisted suicide is legal in Switzerland, Germany, Japan, Albania, Canada, and in the US states of Washington, Oregon, Vermont, New Mexico, Montana and California (effective January 1, 2016).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_euthanasia

Do you really think assisted suicide is allowed to save governments money?

Why is everything in life always about money and savings in this culture, even something like assisted suicide is discussed as if it is some sort of financial issue.

The media can be very frightening, stop listening to it and the fear will go and disappear.

Or listen to it without thinking every care home is the way they tell you.

You may have a car accident and not even end up in a care home,then all that thinking will be a total waste of time and energy.

Someone on living wage will not have the time to think or worry about meaningless things like this.

They would depend on how much they earn and how much her mother is paying for care.

---------- Post added 06-04-2016 at 06:56 ----------

Sutty doesn't think everyone should be able to work all week and care for elderly parent, sutty thinks if you can't or don't want to do it, pay someone else to do it, but don't expect everyone else to pay for it.

---------- Post added 06-04-2016 at 07:01 ----------

According to Wiki

As of October 2015 , human euthanasia is legal in the Netherlands, Belgium, Ireland, Colombia and Luxembourg. Assisted suicide is legal in Switzerland, Germany, Japan, Albania, Canada, and in the US states of Washington, Oregon, Vermont, New Mexico, Montana and California (effective January 1, 2016).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_euthanasia

So what's your story Sutty? Are you an OAP? Are you unemployed? Are you disabled? Or maybe self-employed? Just an observation as you seem to get plenty of time to post on here.

So what's your story Sutty? Are you an OAP? Are you unemployed? Are you disabled? Or maybe self-employed? Just an observation as you seem to get plenty of time to post on here.

Are you an OAP?
Not quite there yet.

Are you unemployed?
No.

Are you disabled?
Technically, but I don't recognise my condition as a disability. So according to the government yes, according to me, no.

Or maybe self-employed?
Yes.

So everything I have was bought using income generated by me working.

Edited by sutty27

Not quite there yet.

No.

Technically, but I don't recognise my condition as a disability.

Yes.

A millionaire? A kept man?

Someone with a condition that isn't in the medical books? Or maybe mental health problems, that you aint classing as a disability?

I'm getting all confused.