National Living Wage.

Funny how prices have started to rise over the last month. Petrol has gone up by 1 or 2p despite oil prices staying the same(My local BP has gone up about 6p!). In the cafe we go to, prices rose by 5% last week.

It seems a bit of a coincidence that these rises are happening just before the NLW is introduced.

Of course things are going to go up to cover the cost! Where do you think the money will come from? My wage bill will rise £30 a week, then I have to add the cost of the pension contributions I need to pay. This week the potatoes have increased by 75p a sack. And next weeks fish delivery will be £25 dearer. So before I even open the shop door I need an extra £80 give or take a few quid. What would you do increase prices or cut staff hours?

There is no right or wrong answer to the June 23 vote. What would I have to admit to being wrong about, if Brexit were to happen in June? :roll:

In this debate about the NLW, if Brexit does happen (which I doubt, but I'm alright with either outcome anyway :P), I will admit I'm wrong (as I always do on here when I am provably wrong) only if the UK employment legislation, conditions and wage levels remain untouched a while after the EU-exiting negotiations are complete and the UK is 'properly' out of the EU legislative system. They're not going to change until then, and that's going to take a few years.

The same as, in this debate, you should admit you're wrong only if the UK employment legislation, conditions and wage levels deteriorate after the EU-exiting negotiations are complete and the UK is 'properly' out of the EU legislative system.

no problem loob will have to wait and see :D btw ive been mulling over this for a couple of weeks now, do you think that if they do exit that the british workforce/unions will let the gov change the working conditions that are in place now ?

---------- Post added 31-03-2016 at 08:55 ----------

Of course things are going to go up to cover the cost! Where do you think the money will come from? My wage bill will rise £30 a week, then I have to add the cost of the pension contributions I need to pay. This week the potatoes have increased by 75p a sack. And next weeks fish delivery will be £25 dearer. So before I even open the shop door I need an extra £80 give or take a few quid. What would you do increase prices or cut staff hours?

I see where you coming from and its the small businesses that take the hit as well as employees. multinationals on the other hand can take the hit but choose not to because of greed, they are not happy with making a few million but want more and pay even less tax . whats your thoughts on that ?

no problem loob will have to wait and see :D btw ive been mulling over this for a couple of weeks now, do you think that if they do exit that the british workforce/unions will let the gov change the working conditions that are in place now ?
Who influences modern governments most, in the UK and wherever else you look: financiers, industry or the workforce/unions?

So, with UK employers freed from such employee-friendly niceties as the working time directive (non-exhaustive example), how are the British workforce/unions not going to prevent such profits-friendlier changes?

With a re-run of the 70s strikes and rolling blackouts? (mind you, the UK is fast running out of obsolete power generation plants, so that might happen regardless...and then again, maybe not, when people can't afford iPhones 8 and 70" OLED big TVs in droves anymore).

How fast would you want to return the UK's 1st world economy to a 2nd or 3rd world status? ;)

But by all means, take it as scaremongering, as a joke, as whatever you want, or just ignore it all: I'm just being a realist, with a healthy dollop of cynicism on top. So long as it's made you think farther than "it's all dem furreiners' fault", that's all that matters :)

Edited by L00b

Any chance of corporations paying it out of their profits? Or maybe taking it out of the CEOs and highest earners wages and bonuses?

I'm sure they won't miss the odd million or two.

or is there the slightest possibilty of some workers haveing their hours cut to balance the books??:suspect::confused:

yippee the low pay people will have they wage packet increase by £20. can see it will make a massive difference to those people.

But most of the 22% are on benefit. they benefit will reduce. In effect this raise in minimum wage is just a tax to employers

Don't you think employers should pay their workers properly..or is it all down to the taxpayer?

Don't you think employers should pay their workers properly..or is it all down to the taxpayer?

Uk is over value, sooner or later we will have no manufacturing jobs? tata steel uk ring a bell?

how do you complete like india/china when they average wage is £2?

Should we carry on like last 40 years as if we are too good to collapse or should we get off our high horses and paid what staff will accept

owt to say about the eu part tzi:huh:

Yes a few things - they are working hard to stop the Chinese getting away with flooding the market with cut-price steel. They are right to stop government aid for failing industries - Steel production in the UK isn't competitive because it is too expensive to make here, switch up and go make money instead of losing it, of course the UK could find a way to safe steel production but that is never going to happen under a Tory government, is it? So what do they do? They blame the EU, in the mean-time Germany helped its steel-industry a decade ago by subsidising energy costs for them, it hasn't helped one iota, their steel-industry is as much on the brink of death as the British is.

That brings me to the final point - EU countries can not compete with China, Russia, Iran and the Ukraine in making steel because making steel requires a huge investment in labour. In China people earn in a year, what steel-workers here make in a month and a half. You tell me how increasing the wage levels even more is going to help the steel industry?

Exactly.....What's the point of a NLW?

Exactly.....What's the point of a NLW?

No point at all,unless your the one that cannot afford to pay your bills due to greedy companys who want to take local money but want to give apsolute minimum back.

What some miss is if many workers are on low income then there is less custom for companys.More money in workers hands is good for everyone.

We are not a third world country quite yet but if some had their way,many workers would be treated like they were.

---------- Post added 31-03-2016 at 16:09 ----------

Funny how prices have started to rise over the last month. Petrol has gone up by 1 or 2p despite oil prices staying the same(My local BP has gone up about 6p!). In the cafe we go to, prices rose by 5% last week.

It seems a bit of a coincidence that these rises are happening just before the NLW is introduced.

Food and fuel price rises are nothing new.Poor road design costs us much more than workers getting a few pence pay rise.