National Living Wage.

Care homes are charging residents upwards of £600 a week each, and they can't afford to pay staff a living wage?

I'm sorry, but someone, somewhere along the line, is getting very rich indeed at the expense of the hard working care assistants and the residents of these homes.

How many staff does it take to give 24/7 care?

What the ratio of staff to residents?

If it was one on one care they would need 4 full time members of staff for each resident, that's £1200 in wages at MW, then theres the cost of food, building, heating.

---------- Post added 03-04-2016 at 17:25 ----------

You always hear people from the CBI say that the result of the higher minimum wage will be higher prices for consumers, or job cuts for some of their staff. Never that bosses of these firms that are paying low wages that they might have to take a pay cut :suspect:

Lots a small business owners don't pay themselves much more than they pay their staff.

If I employed 100 staff and paid them MW, my wage bill would be £1,497,600

How much would I deserve, £20,000 a year, £100,000 a year, compared to their £14,976 a year.

If I employed 100 staff and paid them MW, my wage bill would be £1,497,600

How much would I deserve, £20,000 a year, £100,000 a year, compared to their £14,976 a year.

greed greed greed me me me that's the trouble with this country and the well off:roll:

You always hear people from the CBI say that the result of the higher minimum wage will be higher prices for consumers, or job cuts for some of their staff. Never that bosses of these firms that are paying low wages that they might have to take a pay cut :suspect:

Or that the company's profits might dip a bit and the dividend payout might suffer.

Re this 'living wage'

Can someone answer me a question please.

My hourly rate is £7,70 p.h. as I hold a more senior position than other work colleagues. Previously they were on £1 p.h less on £6.70 p.h the raise brings them to £7.20 (and deservedly so)

Should my employer give me an automatic rise by 50p p.h to bring me in line with their increase ?

Re this 'living wage'

My hourly rate is £7,70 p.h. as I hold a more senior position than other work colleagues. Previously they were on £1 p.h less on £6.70 p.h the raise brings them to £7.20 (and deservedly so)

Should my employer give me an automatic rise by 50p p.h to bring me in line with their increase ?

I think they should and the person above you should get one too, and the one above them, the companies can just increase their prices so they don't loose profit and the country doesn't loose tax revenues, then we are all back to square one with the same spending power that we had before the pay rise, but a least the lowest paid will think they are better off, and globally we are even more uncompetitive so our exports will fall and people will loose their jobs.

Re this 'living wage'

You'd have to ask your employer. Do they think you are worth £7.70 an hour, or do they think you are worth £1 an hour more than lesser skilled and experienced workers.

There is going to be an awful lot of people in your position now thinking they should be paid more, as they see their salary as a percentage more than minimum wage.

Come 2020 and the minimum is £10, there will be a lot more people no longer getting salaried recognition for experience and seniority in low paid jobs, I suspect that will cease to exist as firms won't be able to fund it. The new starters in factories and manual work will be earning the same as the guys who have been there five, ten years, probably earning the same as their lead.

You'd have to ask your employer. Do they think you are worth £7.70 an hour, or do they think you are worth £1 an hour more than lesser skilled and experienced workers.

There is going to be an awful lot of people in your position now thinking they should be paid more, as they see their salary as a percentage more than minimum wage.

Come 2020 and the minimum is £10, there will be a lot more people no longer getting salaried recognition for experience and seniority in low paid jobs, I suspect that will cease to exist as firms won't be able to fund it. The new starters in factories and manual work will be earning the same as the guys who have been there five, ten years, probably earning the same as their lead.

My mate put forward this argument. I countered it by saying that when minimum wage came out we weren't all queuing outside our tyrannical former boss's office wanting a pay rise. He'd have told us to bugger off.

That could be wages are stagnating and have done for years, money goes on yearly minimum wage rises or stuff like this so additional pay rises can't be afforded to people a few rungs up. (Obviously those at the top of the ladde always find some money).

How many staff does it take to give 24/7 care?

What the ratio of staff to residents?

If it was one on one care they would need 4 full time members of staff for each resident, that's £1200 in wages at MW, then theres the cost of food, building, heating.

One to one care? Are you joking?

In my experience care homes are run on the absolute minimum of staff they can get away with. Residents have to wait (sometimes over an hour) just to get help with toileting needs.

---------- Post added 03-04-2016 at 22:34 ----------

My partners mum has been in a care home for the last 2 years, (Dementia). All paid for until recently, her condition has advanced and the home does not have the facilities to care for her extra needs, so it's now down to her daughters to find £500 a week for her care at another home, (which will have a bad impact on her well-being), as she likes where she is.

What happens if her daughters simply can't afford to pay £500 a week? (Serious question.)

One to one care? Are you joking?

In my experience care homes are run on the absolute minimum of staff they can get away with. Residents have to wait (sometimes over an hour) just to get help with toileting needs.

---------- Post added 03-04-2016 at 22:34 ----------

What happens if her daughters simply can't afford to pay £500 a week? (Serious question.)

I don't know Anna B. They could pay it, (5 daughters, all professionals), but why should they? They all pay their taxes which is supposed to cover this sort of thing.

I personally think the authorities are trying it on, until they kick up a fuss.

This is what you get and don't get (without a charge), in Scotland. Maybe it's different in England......http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Health/Support-Social-Care/Support/Older-People/Free-Personal-Nursing-Care

Edited by GLASGOWOODS