Need a mechanic's advice - please!

Im afraid your only hoping that the head gasket is ok.

With the car overheating it may have warped like others have said.

Fingers crossed for you though.

Bypass the heater matrix and youll see.

I'm confident the head gasket has not blown. No creaminess in the oil, and no smoke from the exhaust. The car runs perfectly.

What do you mean by bypass the heater matrix?

Take the rubber pipes off the input and output of the matrix and join them with a piece of pipe and two clips.

Assuming its easy to get to and is actually under the bonnet and not in the cab.

I think my heater matrix is behind the dashboard :/ I might be able to get to the pipes from the bonnet though..

Are you sure your water pump is working ok too?

If you were topped up at first and had no heater then it could be the water not circulating properly or an air lock.

---------- Post added 31-03-2016 at 15:03 ----------

Well if your matrix had gone wouldnt you be getting that leak inside the car?

Are you sure your water pump is working ok too?

If you were topped up at first and had no heater then it could be the water not circulating properly or an air lock.

---------- Post added 31-03-2016 at 15:03 ----------

Well if your matrix had gone wouldnt you be getting that leak inside the car?

A broken water pump wouldn't account for all the coolant lost though, would it?

As far as I can see, the pump looks fine and the only leaking is underneath the car... Then again I'm not mechanic :P

The MOT invoice says "Checked engine temperature: OK". The temp is managed by the cooling system. Engine temperature was obviously not "OK" or it wouldn't be melting now.

I'm not blaming the tester at all. I knew it was bound to get worse at some point. The garage should have seen the leak because it is flooding out of the exact area they were fixing a new CV joint last week. It was a slow trickling leak before the MOT, now it is flooding out.

Anyway, I'm asking for a mechanic, not people sat on their high horses. Head gasket is not blown by the way.

What vehicle and engine is this fitted in?

The tester will be checking to ensure that the engine temperature is above whatever the low value is, to ensure that the emissions test is valid. They don't care about the mechanical condition of a engine as long as it can drive 20 yards or whatever the figure is. They are not looking for a mechanical fault unless it affects a testable item.

If you have overheated the engine, then head/gasket damage is likely, but it depends very much on the engine and the use it's been subject to when overheated.

The heater works whenever there is coolant inside the car, so I don't think the actual heater matrix is broken. I think it's a pipe going to or from the heater matrix that is cracked/corroded.

Edit: *facepalm* scratch that. It obviously isn't the pipes going to the matrix. I can see them, and there's no leak. Duh lol

Edited by Revel

You can only tell if the pump is ok by seeing if the coolant is travelling around the system.

When you take the pipes off the matrix youll easily see if you try to start it.

The pump will look ok externally.

The water pump will have a little hole in the casing, behind the pulley. This can sometimes leak water if the seal has gone on the shaft. And can leak alot if its mullered!.

Youd have a squealing noise though id imagine as the belts get wet of from friction in the pump body.

What vehicle and engine is this fitted in?

The tester will be checking to ensure that the engine temperature is above whatever the low value is, to ensure that the emissions test is valid. They don't care about the mechanical condition of a engine as long as it can drive 20 yards or whatever the figure is. They are not looking for a mechanical fault unless it affects a testable item.

If you have overheated the engine, then head/gasket damage is likely, but it depends very much on the engine and the use it's been subject to when overheated.

Hi. It's a Vauxhall Corsa 1.2