Eleven million tax avoiding documents..

So what if he did?

Is that a serious question?

If he knew about it(which just to clarify,I am not saying he did),you would be happy that your Prime Minister who has been giving it large about stopping these kind of corruptions,knew full well that the money that he stands to inherit(possibly already inherited?)was earned illegitimately whilst the rest of us plebs have to pay our part in our fair system?

Lets be honest here,even if Cameron was directly implicated,you would probably still be by his side.

"we're all in it together" eh RonJeremy? :hihi:

To be honest, I think people are wasting their time if they think there is some massive scandal here involving David Cameron. If there was, it would be out by now, just as it is in Iceland (a good day for democracy in Iceland today, thanks to whoever leaked this cache :)). But Cameron is a red herring. Certainly his dad appears to have been up to no good and seems likely to have engaged sham directors, a deplorable practice that cheats the UK public purse. But I don't think you'll find any tangible link to his son.

I think the Tory government have been very weak on tax avoidance though. You only have to look at the Google deal to see that, and the changes George Osborne made to the Controlled Foreign Companies Act make it easier for multinationals to engage in transfer pricing, not harder - that is a scandal that unfortunately most people don't know about.

---------- Post added 05-04-2016 at 20:26 ----------

I'm completely uninterested in moral judgements. Money is quintessentially amoral.

You're clearly not a silly person, but I think this is a silly argument. Bullets are essentially amoral, they are just bits of metal; but it matters a lot what people do with them. As with money. You may not be aware of this, but an awful lot of 'little people' (like me) who don't have complex tax arrangements and accounts in BVI and Delaware, who have paid every penny of PAYE and NI due over decades of working get really, really angry knowing that there are other people who use very complex arrangements to pay less than we do, despite having a lot, lot more money than we do, and then take the attitude that 'so what, it's legal'.

Because it does make a direct difference to people; George Osborne never tires of telling us that 'we can only afford what we can afford'. Well, if you have a child with a mental health problem who has to wait 8 months to see someone because CAMHS is so badly under-funded, then tax avoidance has had a direct effect on you; if your elderly parent's home help gets cut by the local authority due to central government cuts, then tax avoidcance has had a direct effect on you. Some of us can't insulate ourselves against these realities, and want to pay what we should pay so that life is a bit fairer and a bit easier for most people. Jeremy Corbyn will do very well if he takes a hard line on this because most British people hate the idea that they are being taken for a ride by people who are sniggering up their sleeves at them.

Edited by Bob Arctor
spelling

To be honest, I think people are wasting their time if they think there is some massive scandal here involving David Cameron. If there was, it would be out by now, just as it is in Iceland (a good day for democracy in Iceland today, thanks to whoever leaked this cache :)). But Cameron is a red herring. Certainly his dad appears to have been up to no good and seems likely to have engaged sham directors, a deplorable practice that cheats the UK public purse. But I don't think you'll find any tangible link to his son.

I think the Tory government have been very weak on tax avoidance though. You only have to look at the Google deal to see that, and the changes George Osborne made to the Controlled Foreign Companies Act make it easier for multinationals to engage in transfer pricing, not harder - that is a scandal that unfortunately most people don't know about.

You're clearly not a silly person, but I think this is a silly argument. Bullets are essentially amoral, they are just bits of metal; but it matters a lot what people do with them. As with money. You may not be aware of this, but an awful lot of 'little people' (like me) who don't have complex tax arrangements and accounts in BVI and Delaware, who have paid every penny of PAYE and NI due over decades of working get really, really angry knowing that there are other people who use very complex arrangements to pay less than we do, despite having a lot, lot more money than we do, and then take the attitude that 'so what, it's legal'.

Because it does make a direct difference to people; George Osborne never tires of telling us that 'we can only afford what we can afford'. Well, if you have a child with a mental health problem who has to wait 8 months to see someone because CAMHS is so badly under-funded, then tax avoidance has had a direct effect on you; if your elderly parent's home help gets cut by the local authority due to central government cuts, then tax avoidcance has had a direct effect on you. Some of us can't insulate ourselves against these realities, and want to pay what we should pay so that life is a bit fairer and a bit easier for most people. Jeremy Corbyn will do very well if he takes a hard line on this because most British people hate the idea that they are being taken for a ride by people who are sniggering up their sleeves at them.

Good post. The one thing I would point out is that NO government has done much to tackle tax avoidance. It wasn't really part of the general publics lexicon until after 2008 when they became aware how hard and how deep we're getting shafted. To be honest I think Cameron has probably done more than most in that regard.

Corbyn doesn't seem to be able to anything that is ideologically different from his political view. He'll tax everyone very very very hard. He's not the answer either.

Well you are someone else who gets talked down to a lot so I suspect you'd know.

You clearly have no idea about the Scouts though.

coming from someone who means nothing do you really think I care :roll: and from what I remember about the scouts was be prepared and listening to your bs on here I think I am :hihi:

coming from someone who means nothing do you really think I care :roll: and from what I remember about the scouts was be prepared and listening to your bs on here I think I am :hihi:

Clearly you do because you are answering :) If you really didn't care you'd stick me on ignore.

Bold:

But you do take advantage of your allowances. You don't pay tax on the first (probably) £10600 of your earnings. You avoid paying tax on this amount. And your employer collects what tax you do pay on behalf of the government.

You tax dodger, you.

Bold:

But you do take advantage of your allowances. You don't pay tax on the first (probably) £10600 of your earnings. You avoid paying tax on this amount. And your employer collects what tax you do pay on behalf of the government.

You tax dodger, you.

Is this really the best you can do? I have no tax liability on the first £10600, so there is no liability to avoid. You seem keen to defend tax avoiders, why is that?

Bold:

You tax dodger, you.

A tax allowance isn't an avoidance measure and anyone who pretends it is is a liar who is just trying to justify the wholescale tax avoidance the wealthy who can afford complex tax arrangements undertake.

Neither is an ISA a example of tax avoidance.....as I have demonstrated time and time again, but still the apologists for tax avoidance claim it is, just so they can attempt to make out that everybody "avoids tax", not just their mates in Panama.

Bold:

You tax dodger, you.

That isn't tax avoidance.

A tax allowance isn't an avoidance measure and anyone who pretends it is is a liar who is just trying to justify the wholescale tax avoidance the wealthy who can afford complex tax arrangements undertake.

Neither is an ISA a example of tax avoidance.....as I have demonstrated time and time again, but still the apologists for tax avoidance claim it is, just so they can attempt to make out that everybody "avoids tax", not just their mates in Panama.

Ron's going to accuse me of avoiding paying the window tax next :)