Old Rivers of Nether Edge

Hello people

Does anyone know of any rivers that ran through Nether Edge parallel to Oakdale Rd? i think there is a river flowing into and out of Oakdale Court as there is a running stream in the middle. i would like to kmow where it goes and the name if anyone ca help.

cheers

Nick

Hi Nick I am not sure the outflow you can see off the bridge is the stream,that is the out flow from the baths,There is an inflow into the sheaf about 100 yards further back up the sheaf that was between the houses at the edge off the sheaf,you accessed them from the last road on the left going up broadfield road towards abbeydale and if you follow a line back towards nether edge hospital it looks like this is were it would come out,i have looked at some old maps on in the 1840/50s and none show a water way coming from nether edge to the sheaf so it cannot have been very big or it would have been on a map some were,i think because it was small it was culverted from an early time,i dont remember seeing it only at the back off friends houses were it entered the sheaf.

Hope this is off some use,

OR-B-SON.

I agree with you or-b-son, spent many a day playing down there as a kid back in the 70's. The outflow is indeed further upstream and if my memory serves me right is somewhere around where the end of Leyburn Road is and the park begins.

• 3 months later...

Glad the lost rivers map is still continuing to be useful for people! For info, when I developed that map, I was using a whole range of sources, from old maps and records, through to local knowledge from people on this forum.

I would like to know if there is any more information about that small stream along Oakdale Road. Parts are shown on modern maps still, but much is underground in culverts / pipes. It is probable that much of the water is now flowing into sewers rather than the culverted stream - and because the sewers in this area are "combined", that means that the water could be flowing all the way to the Blackburn Meadows Sewage Treatment Works past Meadowhall to be treated as sewage.

@losturbanrivers