Government to spend Nine million on leaflets

So that's what the Government's effort at informing the voting public about the referendum reduces the debate to?

Whinges about who/where is the parent company of the leaflet printers who profits from the operation and will pay corporate tax in 2017 or not on that profit?

And people like that are allowed to vote in the referendum to decide the future of the UK? :o

Double facepalm does not even come close.

My dad (who is a retired Doctor so not stupid) said he was voting to leave due to the ECHR stopping us deporting hate preachers. I had to point out that the ECHR is nothing to do with the EU so we would still be bound by it.

It scares the crap out of me that people (even intelligent ones) are voting on stuff that isn't even related and is just little England rhetoric :mad:

Edited by nikki-red
masked swearing

My dad (who is a retired Doctor so not stupid) said he was voting to leave due to the ECHR stopping us deporting hate preachers. I had to point out that the ECHR is nothing to do with the EU so we would still be bound by it.

It scares the crap out of me that people (even intelligent ones) are voting on stuff that isn't even related and is just little England rhetoric :mad:

Who'd have thought it... intelligent people making bad decisions.:huh:

It's a common misconception, but...

Membership of the ECHR is a requirement of membership of the EU.

We are therefore not in a position to either withdraw from the ECHR, or (using the threat of withdrawal) exert pressure for reform on the ECHR court as long as we remain in the EU.

So it's not unrelated.

I have been told that Government is spending £10 million on leaflets, on why we should stay in the EU. A few of my friends say they are going to send theirs back to Downing Street and they are going to add a few comments on why we should leave. I do not think I will send mine back even thought I am voting to leave the EU.

I was just wonder if anyone else who is voting to leave the EU has thought of sending these booklets back when they come through your door.

Why would we do that? That will just incur further cost to us and they will be binned uncounted by the secure whitehall mail sorting facility.

If cameron and his eu chums wish to waste our taxes on posting eu propaganda lets take the argument to then rather than stoop to their level.

If your complaint is that it s a waste of taxpayers' money, then you will increase the cost to the taxpayer by sending it back.

If you are tryng to convince DC to change his mind, you wont do that.

If you are trying to make a point that next time they hold a referendum on Europe, they shouldn't post leaflets out, then good luck with that.

Futile and pointless.

A bit like rioting in front of Downing Street.

---------- Post added 11-04-2016 at 21:24 ----------

Why would we do that? That will just incur further cost to us and they will be binned uncounted by the secure whitehall mail sorting facility.

If cameron and his eu chums wish to waste our taxes on posting eu propaganda lets take the argument to then rather than stoop to their level.

^^^^^^^^

What this guy said.

I think sending them back is totally moronic to be frank.

The Government has made a stance on what it thinks the public should do. They are entitled to do that.

The Government received a lot of criticism from the press and the general public for not explaining their reasoning.

The Government are taking steps to rectify that by providing written reasons for their position.

Its supposed to be about keeping the electorate informed. Its supposed to be answering the questions we demand they answer.

Its not a campaign leaflet. Its not supposed to block or oppose leafleting from the in OR out campaign groups.

Its official government information in response to a specific demand.

They cant do right for doing wrong.

Perhaps if all these reactionaries actually bothered to read the leaflet alongside the forthcoming campaign materials they might be in a position to make an informed decision come referendum time.

The return to sender address is 10 Downing Street London S1 no postage stamp required the tax payer will pay.

There's a Downing Street in the centre of Sheffield too?? I never knew that.

There's no Downing Streets anywhere in the S postcode area.

The nearest item found is Fretwell Downing Hospitality Ltd., 1 Hawke Street, SHEFFIELD S9 2SU.

Um... Yeah I know!