Government to spend Nine million on leaflets

The European Working Time Directive gives EU workers the right to a minimum number of holidays each year, rest breaks, and rest of at least 11 hours in any 24 hours; restricts excessive night work; a day off after a week's work; and provides for a right to work no more than 48 hours per week.

It was brought in in 2003, all of my employers have been doing all of that, for at least the last 20 years.

My brother in law was seriously annoyed when it was introduced, it meant he couldn't do his job for 80 hours any more like he used to. If working 80 hours a week makes you happy, than it is possibly a bad rule but I genuinely don't think it makes a lot of people happy (including my b-i-l who became a much happier person afterwards). So in 2003 it did still impact on people and it was a good law to bring in.

Well...It seems this row is being escalated...German company to profit from the printing of the leaflets, which have already been printed. Tory MP's threatening to bring the gov lawmaking to a halt by blocking parliament. It's getting all very nasty, and DC only has himself to blame.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/07/politics-live-governments-9million-anti-brexit-letter-sparks-fur/

My brother in law was seriously annoyed when it was introduced, it meant he couldn't do his job for 80 hours any more like he used to. If working 80 hours a week makes you happy, than it is possibly a bad rule but I genuinely don't think it makes a lot of people happy (including my b-i-l who became a much happier person afterwards). So in 2003 it did still impact on people and it was a good law to bring in.

Well, your brother in law misinterpreted the law then. The directive is there to stop employers making you work too many hours but it doesn't in any way stop you from working if you want to. There is provision for you to voluntarily opt out of the directive if you really want to work more. A lot of us here opt out all the time.

Well, your brother in law misinterpreted the law then. The directive is there to stop employers making you work too many hours but it doesn't in any way stop you from working if you want to. There is provision for you to voluntarily opt out of the directive if you really want to work more. A lot of us here opt out all the time.

His employer might have misinterpreted the law, he didn't. He was simply told that they would not provide/pay for overtime any more.

Well...It seems this row is being escalated...German company to profit from the printing of the leaflets, which have already been printed. Tory MP's threatening to bring the gov lawmaking to a halt by blocking parliament. It's getting all very nasty, and DC only has himself to blame.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/07/politics-live-governments-9million-anti-brexit-letter-sparks-fur/

German Company? Typical! Couldn't they find a British one?

And does it really need expensive full page pictures?

German Company? Typical! Couldn't they find a British one?

And does it really need expensive full page pictures?

I saw a quote on Jeremy Vines twitter account this morning from a UK 'printer' saying that they were mystified as to the cost. They reckoned that the gov had been overcharged to the tune of something like 8 million. How accurate that was I'm not sure. But the quoted cost, seems one hell of a lot of money.

---------- Post added 08-04-2016 at 12:42 ----------

It is a company in Britain..whose parent company is German..

So the profits will end up in Germany?

I saw a quote on Jeremy Vines twitter account this morning from a UK 'printer' saying that they were mystified as to the cost. They reckoned that the gov had been overcharged to the tune of something like 8 million. How accurate that was I'm not sure. But the quoted cost, seems one hell of a lot of money.

---------- Post added 08-04-2016 at 12:42 ----------

So the profits will end up in Germany?

Don't know..you tell me....I've no idea how the parent company sorts it's finance out..