Warfarin Tablets...anyone taking them?

My wife had her mitral valve replaced 9 years ago with a metal one (she ticks like a clock now) her INR is set between 3.9 and 4.5 and she has to be tested every two weeks.

Regarding the Canberry Juice, I believe the reason you can't have it is due to nothing more than its dierectic qualitles and hence has the ability to de-hydrate you which in turn thickens your blood, unless we have been informed wrongly. She has also been told to steer clear or reduce caffeine intake?

• 2 years later...

Hi guys. First time to this forum so please accept a warm welcome from me but also an apology. As a first time user, I am meeting you guys to ask for your help and advice!

Travel insurance????

The first time I ever got travel insurance after I was informed I was on warfarin for the rest of my life (by the way, I was 21 at the time and about to take my finals at Hallam in 2000) wasn’t too bad.... the price was higher than others but bearable. Since then, even the companies recommended to me by my original doctor have now become extortionate!! £40 for a weekend away in Paris, £44 for a 2 day stag do in Prague....... I am sure you have all felt the financial pain?!

I have searched the internet high and low, contacted many insurers who by the end adds on extra premiums and am now fed up!

Can anyone recommend a good company who would be able to insure a very fit and healthy 30 year old but who just happens to take warfarin everyday and had a couple of DVT’s and a PE but almost 10 years ago now?

Thanks in advance guys!

Adt

My problem was atrial fibrillation, and further tests at RGH showed I had sufered a "silent" heart attack. Hence the warfarin.

In response to bladesgirl and the situation at NGH, at Rotherham there is an appointments system which works well. I usually attend at 1.00pm (parking a bit easier) and get immediate attention, the Clinic is usually empty.

I would stay with them, but I am moving over to the local service after being refused urgent dental treatment just before Easter at my local Dentists.....excuse was they would need to have my up-to-date INR level and remove the tooth within 24hrs of the result. They also refused penicillin, with the excuse that it affects INR levels. Last year when a similar situation arose, another dentist at the same practice issued penicillin quite happily :confused:

At RGH they do the test in the afternoon, and ring me within 3-4 hours if a change in warfarin levels is necessary. My "Yellow Book" is posted the same day. No phone call in the afternoon tells me that nothing drastic has happened to the INR level.....it's great. I hope the move away from them is not a backward step.......:)

I believe it's Erythromycin which can affect the INR and must be prescribed with care - don't think that Penicillin is usually a problem.

As shoeshine says, the appointment system at RGH works very well. The staff are great and I'm usually in and out quite quickly. I prefer going there than to my GP (not a lot of confidence in my local surgery) as I usually have breakfast in the Rooftop Restaurant after (excellent). I take Warfarin as I have atrial fibrillation. My target is 2.5 and I take 3mg daily at the moment.

P.S. Been this morning to have a heart recorder fitted for 24 hours. Chest shaved yet again!

BTW does anyone else feel cold all the time?

• 7 months later...

I had an atrial flutter last week and I am now on Warfarin.

Time to be totally honest, I have been a regular drinker for many years and the thought of having to only have a pint and a half every day leaves me feeling totally down.

No more good nights out with friends, I have to ask if I was to drink, say, three pints a day on a regular basis, would this affect my levels in a big way?

I know I am leaving myself open to criticism here, but I would appreciate any replies.

My 'therapeutic range' is between 1.8 and 2.4 but it's very rarely right...

I have been on Warfarin since I was 14 when I suffered two DVTs (one in the portal vein which is still there and one in the IVC which broke down with heparin)

However, the same condition that caused me to clot makes me prone to bleeding so my INR definitely shouldn't go over 2.5.

Currently I have a feeling it's too high as it's been too low so I'm on a ridiculous dose of warfarin to up it and I think it's gone the other way!

Joy!

• 1 month later...

Question please .......

I currently take Warfarin and need to have my INR levels tested, does anyone know if there is a drop in centre in Sheffield which is open outside of normal working hours that carries out these blood tests. I currently have the blood tests done at my GP but the session times are limited.

Question please .......

I currently take Warfarin and need to have my INR levels tested, does anyone know if there is a drop in centre in Sheffield which is open outside of normal working hours that carries out these blood tests. I currently have the blood tests done at my GP but the session times are limited.

Does your GP use the machine that analyses the blood or do they send it to the hospital for testing? My GP's have a clinic but if it is not possible for me to get they have done it at the evening surgery, as the result is instant.

Does your GP use the machine that analyses the blood or do they send it to the hospital for testing? My GP's have a clinic but if it is not possible for me to get they have done it at the evening surgery, as the result is instant.

Thanks for this information. My blood test is sent to the hospital for testing, and then the GP's surgery ring me with the result later in the day. I have actually e-mailed the surgery to see if they can be more flexible as to when the tests are done - I am awaiting a response.

Archived