David Cameron, secrecy and tax avoidance

Whose morals? Yours? Fine by me and most of those who voted him into power to rule over you ?

Berberis

Quote: The Jimmy Carr comparison is completely wrong.

So we are saying it was completely wrong? Was he punished in any way?

Has the law changed or been clarified. Its all very divisive, people go to court for stealing £1,000; it is seen as one law for the rich, another for the rest of us.

So we are saying it was completely wrong? Was he punished in any way?

Has the law changed or been clarified. Its all very divisive, people go to court for stealing £1,000; it is seen as one law for the rich, another for the rest of us.

The law which Jimmy Carr exploited has been fixed as I understand it.

There's a world of difference between taking something that belongs to somebody else (stealing, benefit fraud) and trying within the law to pay the tax share of yourself and 90 other people, rather than of yourself and 100 other people.

I know you wish they were morally equivalent, but they're not.

I would accept that tax evasion (knowingly breaking the law to reduce your taxes) and stealing are morally equivalent (providing the latter does not involve criminal damage, invasion of property, violence or the threat of violence).

We are all similar, the those that are motivated by money are different.

A rich friend of mine recently told me how he put an offer in for a house that was up for sale. It was refused, he put a window through, of this empty house and mention to the seller about anti-social behaviour. They accepted his offer in the end.

---------- Post added 10-04-2016 at 01:32 ----------

Is that what you really think?

As I understand, we have low taxes, because the Conservatives are in power, yet tax is still avoided.

The poor pay very little tax, the middle earners pay a higher percentage of tax, than the super rich.

You don't seem to have a problem with your friend committing a criminal act to gain financially, but you have a problem with people who do not break the law gaining financially :loopy:

You don't seem to have a problem with your friend committing a criminal act to gain financially, but you have a problem with people who do not break the law gaining financially :loopy:

I do, that is why I gave it as an example :loopy:

So what you are saying is that there are illegal but legal laws? What are you on about?

It sounds bizarre for sure but where tax is concerned law can be altered retrospectively.

Google 'HMRC GAAR retrospective' and start reading up on it