David Cameron, secrecy and tax avoidance

Let's face it that's hardly a massive irregularity.

The whole thing is just a storm in a teacup.

I agree, it's only the PM's initial reaction to the leak that's made this newsworthy. If he had made it public knowledge at the time of the leak or even earlier when he first became PM, then it wouldn't have been an issue.

I agree, it's only the PM's initial reaction to the leak that's made this newsworthy. If he had made it public knowledge at the time of the leak or even earlier when he first became PM, then it wouldn't have been an issue.

It still is not an issue and I have no idea why it is still in the news when nothing illegal has happened. It is basically, "OMG, he's paid his taxes!".

Well it seems that the only one with irregularities was Corbyn who was fined £100 for not submitting his tax return on time.
....................that busy political point scoring against Cameron that he forgot to get his politically sensitive tax returns in on time!.........all a bit daft really,bit like that daft 'apeth Skinner.

I'm sure that if Blair or Brown were PM they'd a series of awkward questions to answer as well.

Too true. They helped create the situation.

Right now though, they are not in power.

---------- Post added 11-04-2016 at 20:30 ----------

It still is not an issue and I have no idea why it is still in the news when nothing illegal has happened. It is basically, "OMG, he's paid his taxes!".

It's not just about whether he's paid his taxes or not

Let's face it that's hardly a massive irregularity.

The whole thing is just a storm in a teacup.

But it is a big deal if all MPs reveal their tax returns; especially if the press find something that has not been declared, the MPs will need to be squeaky clean.

Ordinarily I'd say yeah, it will have compromised people's trust in him. But the guy is made of Teflon. Nothing sticks to him.

In a month's time no one apart from a few die hard pretend lefties on here will remember this episode. And they will have remembered it all wrong anyhow. Christ they can't their heads around it now.

Ordinarily I'd say yeah, it will have compromised people's trust in him. But the guy is made of Teflon. Nothing sticks to him.

In a month's time no one apart from a few die hard pretend lefties on here will remember this episode. And they will have remembered it all wrong anyhow. Christ they can't their heads around it now.

Ordinarily I think that you're right.

I just wonder if the upcoming referendum has already put the PM under pressure from inside his party. The Tory Brexit crowd may use this scandal as leverage over the PM, or they may even force him out and replace him with Boris.

There's also the case of the pro-EU wing may feel that the PM's scandal may cost them vital portage points in the referendum, and they may make a move on him.

---------- Post added 11-04-2016 at 21:13 ----------

Just a quick question - MPs expenses, do they pay tax on it. Is this the same as in other professions?

It's not classed as an income. If they do hire staff, then obviously that staff will play the appropriate taxes.