David Cameron, secrecy and tax avoidance

From my experience company cars have always been taxed..well at least since about 1982...

I think some of you are playing dumb, on purpose ;)

In the early 1990s only 6 per cent of companies offered a cash alternative instead of a company car, compared with 92 per cent now.

Gordon Brown changed the tax allowances, which meant company car drivers would have to pay, £878.40 under the old rules, £1,347.20 in 2004/2005

because your entitled to the first 10000 miles at the higher rate and a lesser rate thereafter but you keep going on about 4000 miles from your employer so something don't add up. you are either lying about your mileage claim or have been misled :roll: take it up with your union rep :hihi:

I think you've misunderstood something.

I can't tell what you're trying to say, or where you get the 10000 miles figure from.

The university rates are here: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/finance/staff-information/mymoney/myexpenses/mileage_allowance

I think you've misunderstood something.

I can't tell what you're trying to say, or where you get the 10000 miles figure from.

The university rates are here: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/finance/staff-information/mymoney/myexpenses/mileage_allowance

my apologies it looks like the figures quoted are in the uni s form but i was going on this from the hmrc site here

https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-benefits-business-travel-mileage/rules-for-tax so somethings not adding up.

my apologies it looks like the figures quoted are in the uni s form but i was going on this from the hmrc site here

https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-benefits-business-travel-mileage/rules-for-tax so somethings not adding up.

The government sets an upper limit.

There may be some jobs in which mileage costs are higher on the basis that the cars are necessarily larger or more heavily loaded.

The university has rightly endeavoured to set a rate appropriate to the work.

If any university employee feels that the rate is too low for their car and they would lose money, they can order a hire car and claim for fuel. Then it's guaranteed to be cost neutral for them.

These expenses schemes are not supposed to be deliberately profit making for the employee. That would be aggressive tax avoidance at least and probably evasion if you do it deliberately.

Edited by unbeliever

The government sets an upper limit.

There may be some jobs in which mileage costs are higher on the basis that the cars are necessarily larger or more heavily loaded.

The university has rightly endeavoured to set a rate appropriate to the work.

If any university employee feels that the rate is too low for their car and they would lose money, they can order a hire car and claim for fuel. Then it's guaranteed to be cost neutral for them.

These expenses schemes are not supposed to be deliberately profit making for the employee. That would be aggressive tax avoidance.

but you as an employee can rightly claim the 45 pence per mile up to 10000 and its nothing to do with your employer overriding what your entitled too:roll:

Yes. To about 40p/mile.

Wow, so you've managed to work out everyone's depreciation values, then all their total traveling expenses and come up with cost per mile, for everyone. I'm impressed.

Did you include tire wear? :hihi:

I think some of you are playing dumb, on purpose ;)

In the early 1990s only 6 per cent of companies offered a cash alternative instead of a company car, compared with 92 per cent now.

Gordon Brown changed the tax allowances, which meant company car drivers would have to pay, £878.40 under the old rules, £1,347.20 in 2004/2005

I'm not sure what you're getting at here..company cars have always attracted an extra tax..they are classed as BiK .HMRC adjust your tax code so that you are taxed on the value that HMRC put on this BiK..it used to change depending on the number of business miles you did,now it depends on the value of the car and it's CO2 rating.. (BiK =Benefit in kind)

but you as an employee can rightly claim the 45 pence per mile up to 10000 and its nothing to do with your employer overriding what your entitled too:roll:

You are entitled to what it costs you. There is no automatic right to claim 45p a mile.

The HMRC figures are widely misunderstood. What they represent are a set of figures below which HMRC will assume that the mileage costs are genuine and they wont bother investigating them. If you make claims above those figures then HMRC may very well assume something is going on that's untoward, and will investigate, so you better keep all the necessary paperwork to prove it.

Companies/organisations may well have their own rates that they will pay, and no more - if your costs are going to be above those rates then you need to discuss with them alternatives which may be train, car hire of a smaller more efficient vehicle etc...

Wow, so you've managed to work out everyone's depreciation values, then all their total traveling expenses and come up with cost per mile, for everyone. I'm impressed.

Did you include tire wear? :hihi:

It's not me that worked it out. [meaningless emoticon adding nothing to the discussion: :|]

You are entitled to what it costs you. There is no automatic right to claim 45p a mile.

The HMRC figures are widely misunderstood. What they represent are a set of figures below which HMRC will assume that the mileage costs are genuine and they wont bother investigating them. If you make claims above those figures then HMRC may very well assume something is going on that's untoward, and will investigate, so you better keep all the necessary paperwork to prove it.

Companies/organisations may well have their own rates that they will pay, and no more - if your costs are going to be above those rates then you need to discuss with them alternatives which may be train, car hire of a smaller more efficient vehicle etc...

I don't need telling on what you can claim its the other chap and to me it seems he being misled. I assume that yes he will be telling the truth about his mileage and if hmrc want to query it he has the relevant paperwork:roll: