Rippon's - Beighton Road

Does anyone know anything or remember a shop called Rippon's that was on the corner of what is now Albert road-Beighton Street. My granddad was telling that his father worked there when he was 14 (That would have been in the early 1920s). The only thing I know is that it was a grocery shop.

This is a quote from a post on the Sheffield History forum:

Remember the little green wooden sweet shop (Rippons News Kiosk) on the village green outside the school. This was moved to Birley Sa Lane (at the top side of where the shops are now) for a few years. It was there until the Newsagents shop was built on the new parade. I think Rippons had the new shop for a while before it was taken over by Harry Elam.

Do you think this is the same shop you are talking about?

If you want to read the entire thread which includes a photo of the little shop look at post #5

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/7126-cotleigh-house/#comment-47735

That's the one! Very interesting link and it's great that the picture exists, my grandad must've got the location slightly off, sounds like it was a bit further up Sheffield Road, I know the family lived on Brook Lane in the early-mid 1900s so it makes sense.

Does anyone know anything or remember a shop called Rippon's that was on the corner of what is now Albert road-Beighton Street. My granddad was telling that his father worked there when he was 14 (That would have been in the early 1920s). The only thing I know is that it was a grocery shop.

--------------------------

I may be wrong here but think it might be worth you doing more research into that shop. I don't think the wooden hut on the green was ever a grocery shop, it sold sweets, tobacco and I think newspapers, and it is not near Albert Road. I think it is reasonable to assume that there was a grocery shop in the village at the time.

Albert Road is a comparatively new road (not sure what year) but there was previously a road joining Beighton Road a bit nearer the village.

Hackenthorpe was/is in the parish of Beighton so I did a quick search and, though I didn't see a grocer, as far back as 1881 there was a Mary Rippon, spice, shopkeeper and sickle manufacturers widow living at Greenside Houses Hackenthorpe. I can't remember Greenside Houses but the big house called Greenside ( Doctor Pagden's) was just up from Albert Road on the other side I think. Just a thought, shopkeeping does tend to run/ expand in a family.

There was a Rippon's grocery store on Birley Moor road,Frecheville where it meets Occupation Lane,which leads down to Hackenthorpe. I don't know when it was built but it was there in the '40's. It used to be out on its own before the Birley estate was built.I would say it was no older than the Frecheville houses on Birley Moor so probably built in the '30's.

Coincidence if it's not the same;a grocery store called Rippon's.

There was a corner shop at the junction of Albert Road and Beighton Road until the early eighties (Church Lane side). I think it was officially called "Renshaw's", but was known locally as "Bridie's", after the lady who owned it. It was a general store, and I can certainly remember buying "5p mixes" in paper bags on the way home from school. It was very popular with Carter Lodge Comp (now Rainbow Forge Jnr) School pupils at break times.

If memory serves, the building was converted back into a dwelling when the owners retired in around 1982. You can clearly see where the old shop front was bricked up on Google Street View.

There is a grey coloured building on the opposite side of Albert Road at it's junction with Beighton Road. This is now divided up into dwellings, but I vaguely remember one of the older locals telling me that this used to be a Co-op store many years ago.

Sorry I can't be of any more assistance, but I suppose it is possible that either of these premises could have been known as "Rippon's" at some point.

There was a corner shop at the junction of Albert Road and Beighton Road until the early eighties (Church Lane side). I think it was officially called "Renshaw's", but was known locally as "Bridie's", after the lady who owned it. It was a general store, and I can certainly remember buying "5p mixes" in paper bags on the way home from school. It was very popular with Carter Lodge Comp (now Rainbow Forge Jnr) School pupils at break times.

If memory serves, the building was converted back into a dwelling when the owners retired in around 1982. You can clearly see where the old shop front was bricked up on Google Street View.

There is a grey coloured building on the opposite side of Albert Road at it's junction with Beighton Road. This is now divided up into dwellings, but I vaguely remember one of the older locals telling me that this used to be a Co-op store many years ago.

Sorry I can't be of any more assistance, but I suppose it is possible that either of these premises could have been known as "Rippon's" at some point.

Yes you have it spot on about the co-op and Renshaws, the co-op had a drapers shop attached, and the Renshaw family still live in the old shop Percy & Mary Ripons little hut was at the top of Brook lane across from Horace Spencer's farm and further up towards the church was houndsfields farm great little village in them days.