Shock Winner in CAMRA Sheffield Pub of The Year

mr craig

Went in the other weekend for the 1st time in ages and it's very apparent how utterly ordinary it is now compared to many other places.

But seeing as the only people who bother to vote rarely go anywhere else it's always going to win.

It's no shock to me. it's the only place I know with good food, good beers hard working friendly staff all in the same package.

And as a bonus on top of that there's no effing and blinding, no karaoke, no sports tv to drowned out customers conversations, great, just like pubs used to be.

It's obvious though isn't it. I'm sure the CAMRA voting paper goes something like...

Good range of beer, well kept, but regardless of quality - Tick!

Oversized glasses - Tick!

Clean Toilets - Tick!

No TV's or music of any kind - Tick!

None of those pesky pool tables or similar - Tick!

Cheap food that goes down well with 'Farmer Browns Lost Foreskin Mild' - Tick!

And there you have it. CAMRA lot happy. I would just like to say I AM a CAMRA member as by the time you've taken off the Spoons vouchers and cheap festival entries it makes it worthwhile, but every year I re-evaluate it and it's becoming less and less likely I will renew. The nail in the coffin will be the upcoming vote on whether to rebrand/refocus CAMRA and how. When the inevitable return comes back to maintain status quo because 'Change Is Not Good' I will cut up my card.

It's no shock to me. it's the only place I know with good food, good beers hard working friendly staff all in the same package.

And as a bonus on top of that there's no effing and blinding, no karaoke, no sports tv to drowned out customers conversations, great, just like pubs used to be.

Coach & Horses at Dronfield has exactly that.

There are plenty of other pubs about too which do.

The pub is becoming a bit boring ale wise, you can guess whats on before you get there, they are falling behind the times a bit, keeping the same range with a few guest ales. Even their porter and stouts are becoming boring.

Shakespeare has IMO vastly improved over KIT with range of ales, and I look forward going there, last time I went I had 3 different halves, something I never do in KIT.

Not sure who votes this pub of the year all the time ..... maybe they are also behind the times :P

Sure Andy C will be along with the full results, but apparently the actual best pub has gone up from 5th to 4th, and some of last year's top 4 are no longer so... (relayed to me second hand so may not be 100% correct)

congrats to the Kelham Island Tavern on winning Kelham Island Tavern of the year again!