Shock Winner in CAMRA Sheffield Pub of The Year

mr craig

To be fair the Shakespeare has very uncomfortable seating, the toilets are a disgrace, and the outside area stinks in the summer. Best beer cask range by a mile though. That they don't vote for it kinda tells you what the voters really think about cask :)

I would say Sheffields best pub by a long way is the Broadfield but for the people that make up CAMRAS electorate its:

a) On the wrong side of the city. They don't like to go past Moorfoot West Bar.

b) Has too many young people (many of whom may well not be true Sheffielders).

c) Doesn't always have a mild on tap that no-one with any sense would touch with a barge pole.

Edited by Jonny5

To be fair the Shakespeare has very uncomfortable seating, the toilets are a disgrace, and the outside area stinks in the summer. Best beer cask range by a mile though. That they don't vote for it kinda tells you what the voters really think about cask :)

I would say Sheffields best pub by a long way is the Broadfield but for the people that make up CAMRAS electorate its:

a) On the wrong side of the city. They don't like to go past Moorfoot.

b) Has too many young people (many of whom may well not be true Sheffielders).

c) Doesn't always have a mild on tap that no-one with any sense would touch with a barge pole.

Can't agree with you more about the Shakespeare, Jonny. Tho the place has grown on me in recent times because of it's beer range, pricing and general friendliness of people, I still feel a bit grubby when I've been in. Surely they are taking enough money now to address at least a couple of the issues they have.

I do like the Broadfield but, being from Barnsley,. it's a b!tch to get to. I only tend to go when I make the rather brave walk from Eccy Road via the Stag, or when I venture out to Heeley.

Have you tried the Beer Engine yet DnAuK? That's also very good and can be combined with the Broadfield & Picture House or Hop Hideout.

Combing the Broadfield with the Stag is indeed an adventure.

I have indeed Jonny. I knew Tom, but I understand he's gone off to a venture in London now? Its a good pub but again just a bit out of the way for me. I am hoping I'll visit more if the Sentinel place proves a good link to/from there to/from the Rutland. The issue is getting out to London Road from Barnsley. It's not that easy.

It's actually easier to get on the 265 bus, change to 83A or 88 on the Wicker and go straight up Eccy Rd. Then have a few there, walk to Stag and Broadfield. I have actually done Stag to Beer Engine before as well.

Edited by DnAuK

Cheap food that goes down well with 'Farmer Browns Lost Foreskin Mild' - Tick!

I haven't had a decent pint of Lost Foreskin for ages, lovely with a bag of Nobbys Nuts

Cheap food that goes down well with 'Farmer Browns Lost Foreskin Mild' - Tick!

I haven't had a decent pint of Lost Foreskin for ages, lovely with a bag of Nobbys Nuts

I think they have stopped brewing it in favour of 'Hopkins Camel Toe'