Shock Winner in CAMRA Sheffield Pub of The Year

mr craig

Kelham Island tavern the best pub in Sheffield....its not even the best pub in Kelham Island

Not that old chestnut again. Play another record. No. 1 - Harlequin isn't in Kelham Island. No 2 - Riverside is overpriced No 3. Fat Cat is living in the past beer quality iffy and staff not as good as KIT No 4 - Milestone is a gastro pub and not a proper pub N0 5 - Ship is in Shalesmoor as is Bottom Wellie No. 6 - Shakespears sells great beer and has great staff but is let down by toilets. So which pub in Kelham Island is left ? Oh it's the Kelham Island Tavern and yes I am biased

Not many women I know drink beer.

All the ones I know do.

---------- Post added 08-04-2016 at 18:40 ----------

Can't agree with you more about the Shakespeare, Jonny. Tho the place has grown on me in recent times because of it's beer range, pricing and general friendliness of people, I still feel a bit grubby when I've been in. Surely they are taking enough money now to address at least a couple of the issues they have.

I do like the Broadfield but, being from Barnsley,. it's a b!tch to get to. I only tend to go when I make the rather brave walk from Eccy Road via the Stag, or when I venture out to Heeley.

I like the Shakey for it's beer range but the layout can be a bit of a bugger. Trying to look at the beer board whilst people are stood three deep at the bar is a pain plus it does attract a few a'holes who go there for the Lowenbrau and don't seem to realise that seating is there for a reason...to let others get to the bar.

It's obvious though isn't it. I'm sure the CAMRA voting paper goes something like...

Good range of beer, well kept, but regardless of quality - Tick!

Oversized glasses - Tick!

Clean Toilets - Tick!

No TV's or music of any kind - Tick!

None of those pesky pool tables or similar - Tick!

Cheap food that goes down well with 'Farmer Browns Lost Foreskin Mild' - Tick!

And there you have it. CAMRA lot happy. I would just like to say I AM a CAMRA member as by the time you've taken off the Spoons vouchers and cheap festival entries it makes it worthwhile, but every year I re-evaluate it and it's becoming less and less likely I will renew. The nail in the coffin will be the upcoming vote on whether to rebrand/refocus CAMRA and how. When the inevitable return comes back to maintain status quo because 'Change Is Not Good' I will cut up my card.

Not quite the tick list. Things like "Community Focus" do pop up on county judging forms though.

---------- Post added 08-04-2016 at 19:29 ----------

Kelham Island tavern the best pub in Sheffield....its not even the best pub in Kelham Island

It's a good pub, but as far as I'm concerned Shakespeare's is better by miles. Better beer range, much friendlier and much better staff.

I'm sure people must be left scratching their heads at the Kelham Island Tavern winning all these CAMRA gongs at every level year after year.

---------- Post added 08-04-2016 at 19:34 ----------

Certain cask beer brewers like to give their beers "hilarious" risqué names.

On that note, there seems to be a definite trend for heavy metal themed beers at the moment! As much as I do love Iron Maiden, Eddie the 'Ead on the pumpclip is not enough to make me buy a beer.

---------- Post added 08-04-2016 at 19:36 ----------

Coach & Horses at Dronfield has exactly that.

There are plenty of other pubs about too which do.

Dronfield has its own CAMRA branch now. Current Dronfield CAMRA pub of the year is the Miners Arms in Hundal, which is absolutely brilliant!

For what it's worth, Shakespeare's and Bath are my current favourites. Good beer and staff - will happily spend an afternoon/evening in either of them. Also loving the new keg wall at Hop Hideout. Yes, Jules is my mate, but it's a really nice space and they only ever do amazing beer.

(And women do drink beer.)

For what it's worth, Shakespeare's and Bath are my current favourites. Good beer and staff - will happily spend an afternoon/evening in either of them. Also loving the new keg wall at Hop Hideout. Yes, Jules is my mate, but it's a really nice space and they only ever do amazing beer.

(And women do drink beer.)

I quite like a draught beer called Black Sheep.

Shakey`s is the best and has been for a few years now imho. Broady is great and Beer engine is an excellent nkotb whereas KIT is stale. I really don`t care about the toilets tbh; if I did Henry`s would win.

Not that old chestnut again. Play another record. No. 1 - Harlequin isn't in Kelham Island. No 2 - Riverside is overpriced No 3. Fat Cat is living in the past beer quality iffy and staff not as good as KIT No 4 - Milestone is a gastro pub and not a proper pub N0 5 - Ship is in Shalesmoor as is Bottom Wellie No. 6 - Shakespears sells great beer and has great staff but is let down by toilets. So which pub in Kelham Island is left ? Oh it's the Kelham Island Tavern and yes I am biased

So the KIT is better than the Shakey because its toilets are cleaner? The fact that the KITs beer selection is, at best, dull doesnt come into it? In the handful of times Ive been in the KIT, ive looked at the taps and walked out again without ordering a drink, as it always seems to be nothing but brown, twiggy beer. Whereas the Shakey will always have a wide variety of styles on, and a good selection of kegged beer as well as cask. Their bottle selection is also good, something the KIT is also lacking on. I dont go into a pub for its toilets, I go in for its beer.

I would disagree completely that the KIT only has brown twiggy beers. It always has a stout/porter and a mild on but the majority of guest beers are the pale hoppy types. Brewers Gold, Farmers Blond and Deception are always on plus Barnsley Bitter (a brown beer). I don't normally go in a pub for the toilets but they do let the Shakey down which is a shame cos it serves great beer has great staff and is run well plus I do like and use the place