Shock Winner in CAMRA Sheffield Pub of The Year

mr craig

I would disagree completely that the KIT only has brown twiggy beers. It always has a stout/porter and a mild on but the majority of guest beers are the pale hoppy types. Brewers Gold, Farmers Blond and Deception are always on plus Barnsley Bitter (a brown beer). I don't normally go in a pub for the toilets but they do let the Shakey down which is a shame cos it serves great beer has great staff and is run well plus I do like and use the place

Shakespeare also has porters on and they are much better than what KIT have which are boring.

I don't care what the toilets are like. I like others on this post prefer a good selection of ales and Shakespeare is much better.

Who wants a mild in a pub. It's not the pulling attraction at all.

Believe it or not Mild enthusiasts do exist! Although they are a rare breed round these parts.

They certainly do exist! I had several nice milds at SIBA BeerX this year. The presence of a mild is a draw for me. My TAS2R repertoire is far too effective to be able to cope with all the over-hopped (IMO) beers around - I need something gentler...

True. A mild does not have to be low ABV and dull. Buxton did a XXX one last year that I took to a bottle share and it did well. I `grew up` on mild.

Mad Hatter Mild Life Crisis pitches in at a lovely 6.8% and is decent enough

True. A mild does not have to be low ABV and dull. Buxton did a XXX one

That sounds a bit hardcore... I'll get me coat...

There's a place for mild. My glass isn't that place

---------- Post added 10-04-2016 at 01:23 ----------

FWIW I don't think the range in the KIT is bad, it's just not as exciting as the Shakey. They regularly get decent stuff like North Riding, Mallinsons, Blue Bee etc. But you won't see them having cask Yellow Belly etc. Nor do they seem to actively seek out brand new breweries like the Shakey does, but not everyone needs to. They've made a start on keg by having a craft keg line, but again the Shakey just does it better with 5 lines split between decent 'Foreign Muck' and A-list UK stuff (usually!)

The KIT is still a bloody good pub, in many cities it would deservedly win every year, but here in Sheffield there are a good half dozen pubs at least equally worthy of the title, some of them much more so

In the end of it peeps must remember that this is a CAMRA award voted for and by members of CAMRA's Sheffield Branch. It is not given at the behest of the Chairman but by a vote which is sent out to members. So while some of you out there may disagree or think it's unfair that the KIT has won again, it's a matter for CAMRA members and if you ain't a CAMRA member your views don't mean a jot (it's not like the US primaries)

I'm a member and I voted.... Inexplicably, my vote only gets the same weighting as everyone else's ;)

That said, the popular vote decides the top six, which are then subjectively scored by a judging panel so it's not difficult to fix it someone wanted to (i make absolutely no suggestion that is the case!)

On that note, there seems to be a definite trend for heavy metal themed beers at the moment! As much as I do love Iron Maiden, Eddie the 'Ead on the pumpclip is not enough to make me buy a beer!

In that particular case it's just as well, given that Trooper is made by Robinsons, who basically forgot how to brew any new beer back in the mid 80s...

---------- Post added 11-04-2016 at 11:40 ----------

True. A mild does not have to be low ABV and dull. Buxton did a XXX one last year that I took to a bottle share and it did well. I `grew up` on mild.

I'm not a fan of mild. It is, almost by definition, rather tasteless and boring. There have been some hefty examples as you say - when I was in the north east virtually every beer festival had to have this 6% Ruby Mild called (not at all) Sally Jesse Raphael or something (It was probably more like Sarah / Sally Hughes but not really worth committing to memory..)

The only decent mild I've ever had was Colonial Mayhem by good old Hardknott Dave. But at 8.1% the 'mild' tag was almost tongue in cheek.