Shock Winner in CAMRA Sheffield Pub of The Year

mr craig

I had low hopes when I saw Robinsons were brewing it, and they sank yet further when I read the interview where Bruce says his favourite beer is Doom Bore and that Americans get brewing wrong cos they use too many hops... He's a multitalented guy, but don't think he can add brewer to his CV!

I do think though that there is a good correlation between listening to metal and liking good beer (despite CAMRA who for years were convinced all ale drinkers loved ****ing jazz), and many brewers are into metal, hence the beers. There's also several instances of metal bands getting involved in the brewing as several of them are into beer. Amon Amarth have done a series of collabs, and looking at who they're with I imagine they're much better than Trooper!

In the end of it peeps must remember that this is a CAMRA award voted for and by members of CAMRA's Sheffield Branch. It is not given at the behest of the Chairman but by a vote which is sent out to members. So while some of you out there may disagree or think it's unfair that the KIT has won again, it's a matter for CAMRA members and if you ain't a CAMRA member your views don't mean a jot (it's not like the US primaries)

This is very true, and why I'm seriously considering revoking my membership. That and the typical CAMRA bod who, on seeing me produce a can of Magic Rock Bearded Lady Dessert Edition (one of the best beers I've ever had) for my mates birthday said those immortal words 'but it's in a can...'

The point being, if the average CAMRA member was prepared to just look outside their own little box (which, ironically, is what they had spent the previous umpteen years getting everyone else to try and do) then they may see there is more to beer and pubs than another average pint and clean toilets.

---------- Post added 11-04-2016 at 11:48 ----------

I had low hopes when I saw Robinsons were brewing it, and they sank yet further when I read the interview where Bruce says his favourite beer is Doom Bore and that Americans get brewing wrong cos they use too many hops... He's a multitalented guy, but don't think he can add brewer to his CV!

I do think though that there is a good correlation between listening to metal and liking good beer (despite CAMRA who for years were convinced all ale drinkers loved ****ing jazz), and many brewers are into metal, hence the beers. There's also several instances of metal bands getting involved in the brewing as several of them are into beer. Amon Amarth have done a series of collabs, and looking at who they're with I imagine they're much better than Trooper!

Just try listening to Elis James and John Robbins on Radio X every weekend. Whilst they are undoubtedly two of the finest comedians on the go at the moment and their radio show rocks, they revere Doom Bore and Fullers as though they were the elixir of life itself and spend all their time trying to encourage people to 'keep it session'. Which funnily enough I attempted to do on Saturday with a pint of your Craven D'Ale, Dave. Very nice.

cheers! Dev Cat I assume?

as for 'average CAMRA member'... the 'average' member signed up at a beer festival lured by McSpoons vouchers! I'd say the % of members who actually think like that is fairly minimal. Unfortunately, the ones who do still cling to outdated notions are the vocal ones and are the ones you naturally associate with CAMRA. CAMRA spent 40 years telling everyone that kegs and cans are the devil's dispense and that good beer never comes out of them - and to be fair for the first 30 years they were right! Unfortunately as so often happens they confuse 'correlation' with 'cause and effect'!

cheers! Dev Cat I assume?

as for 'average CAMRA member'... the 'average' member signed up at a beer festival lured by McSpoons vouchers! I'd say the % of members who actually think like that is fairly minimal. Unfortunately, the ones who do still cling to outdated notions are the vocal ones and are the ones you naturally associate with CAMRA. CAMRA spent 40 years telling everyone that kegs and cans are the devil's dispense and that good beer never comes out of them - and to be fair for the first 30 years they were right! Unfortunately as so often happens they confuse 'correlation' with 'cause and effect'!

Aye - the Cat had some rather nice beers on actually - including a deceptively decent Sorachi pale from Scarborough brewing which surprised me on many levels.

You are, indeed, bang on about CAMRA. However, all us members have the 'opportunity to reshape it' apparently. But you know that won't happen. The email from Chorlton Brewery to CAMRA about them now making life actually difficult for modern independent brewers to get a foothold is a work of art. If you haven't seen it I shall try and find a link.

EDIT: Got it on Twitter - worth a read: https://twitter.com/ChorltonBrew?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

CR*P - can't make it link to the actual tweet - I'm such an amateur! But if you scroll down to 31st March you'll find a tweet entitled "Well, if you're going to ask for my opinion..."

Edited by DnAuK

You are, indeed, bang on about CAMRA. However, all us members have the 'opportunity to reshape it' apparently. But you know that won't happen. The email from Chorlton Brewery to CAMRA about them now making life actually difficult for modern independent brewers to get a foothold is a work of art. If you haven't seen it I shall try and find a link.

EDIT: Got it on Twitter - worth a read: https://twitter.com/ChorltonBrew?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

CR*P - can't make it link to the actual tweet - I'm such an amateur! But if you scroll down to 31st March you'll find a tweet entitled "Well, if you're going to ask for my opinion..."

Here's the link to the tweet itself:

I'm a member and I voted.... Inexplicably, my vote only gets the same weighting as everyone else's ;)

That said, the popular vote decides the top six, which are then subjectively scored by a judging panel so it's not difficult to fix it someone wanted to (i make absolutely no suggestion that is the case!)

Back to the old problem of not enough new people attending meetings and volunteering to get involved on judging panels. That leads to the usual suspects judging and winning the award.

Shakespeare's has undoubtedly the best range of beers and is therefore the best pub. I couldn't care less what the toilets are like - a discreet wall would suffice. I do avoid the place on Fridays and Saturdays though as it can be overrun by the "I'm a proper drinker me - pint of Carling please" brigade and, as someone else has commented, the layout doesn't work when the pub is full of the "spatially unaware".

With the honourable exception of North Riding and Blue Bee (and very occasional appearances by Siren and Redwillow) many of the "hoppy beers" in the KIT are sadly anything but - and I generally find myself relying on the keg line for anything truly distinctive. Wonderful staff though and in general there's less shouting than in the Shakey.

Congratulations to Kate and her team at the Three Tuns too - a huge achievement in winning the "Non-KIT" Pub of the Year Award.

Congratulations to Kate and her team at the Three Tuns too - a huge achievement in winning the "Non-KIT" Pub of the Year Award.

3 Tuns is my second favourite Sheffield pub after Shakespeare's as well! Not as "beer-geeky" as some places round here but the beer is still very good. Add in the food, staff and atmosphere and it adds up to an all round excellent pub!