Shock Winner in CAMRA Sheffield Pub of The Year

mr craig

I have been in the KIT and FAT CAT and I prefer the Fat cat, shakey also good. Last time I went in the KIT the beer was not very good and we left after 1 pint back to the Cat. Broadfield is a place I've not been in for along time so cannot comment as of late. Best pub for me is anywhere that sells good real ale at a good price and decent food.

I think CAMARA need to move around a bit more.

Edited by MrInkpen

I have been in the KIT and FAT CAT and I prefer the Fat cat, shakey also good. Last time I went in the KIT the beer was not very good and we left after 1 pint back to the Cat. Broadfield is a place I've not been in for along time so cannot comment as of late. Best pub for me is anywhere that sells good real ale at a good price and decent food.

I think CAMARA need to move around a bit more.

Are you suggesting more focus from CAMARA?

Food isn't a vital ingredient of a good pub to me. Crisps and 70p bread rolls are more than sufficient (and I don't even bother with those 99% of the time).

The smell of pub food is generally at best a distraction and at worse offensive.

I agree food doesn't matter in a pub, in fact, it shouldn't be judged in a CAMRA context at all.

But clean toilets do, I am a man, I can cope. But when I go for a pint it is often with women, shock horror, they don't like squatting over a bowl of brown rice.

Comfortable seating does, as does accessibility. When I go to a pub I want good beer and I want to enjoy it. Drinking whilst standing up is OK for half an hour (one pint) after that it is just annoying.

The quality of beer is important, but I am not an anorak, nor do I go to the pub to try the very latest trendy topnotch hopscotch from that nice farmer in Bedale-in-the-Woods, I quite like recognisable beers so I know what to get and what options I have, the odd Black Sheep will do me fine as long as it is part of a broader range.

But the most important thing, bar none, in a pub is whether you can walk in, order your drink, settle down and don't feel like you are intruding into some private party because the regulars don't recognise you.

I agree food doesn't matter in a pub, in fact, it shouldn't be judged in a CAMRA context at all.

But clean toilets do, I am a man, I can cope. But when I go for a pint it is often with women, shock horror, they don't like squatting over a bowl of brown rice.

Comfortable seating does, as does accessibility. When I go to a pub I want good beer and I want to enjoy it. Drinking whilst standing up is OK for half an hour (one pint) after that it is just annoying.

The quality of beer is important, but I am not an anorak, nor do I go to the pub to try the very latest trendy topnotch hopscotch from that nice farmer in Bedale-in-the-Woods, I quite like recognisable beers so I know what to get and what options I have, the odd Black Sheep will do me fine as long as it is part of a broader range.

But the most important thing, bar none, in a pub is whether you can walk in, order your drink, settle down and don't feel like you are intruding into some private party because the regulars don't recognise you.

I certainly agree about drinking while standing up - especially where there's nowhere to stand without being in the way of people accessing the bar/toilets/exit (and nowhere to place your glass between sips/'glugs').

I think most of the more trendier/interesting beers I drink are made under railway arches or on business/industrial estates in London but I enjoyed the 'topnotch hopscotch' quote :D

The toilets just aren't a priority to me - it's the pub floor/carpet I'm treading wee (or worse) into on exit not mine.

Congratulations to Kate and her team at the Three Tuns too - a huge achievement in winning the "Non-KIT" Pub of the Year Award.

seconded! didn't realise they'd won Pub-That-Isn't-The-KIT of the Year. Still not seen the official results, only the shortlist and the winner... plus heard second hand info the best pub had come 4th

Not been on the forum for a bit so only just seen this thread. Here's the article announcing the 2016 Pub of the Year results.

The annual Sheffield & District CAMRA Pub of the Year award winners have just been announced. Two are presented, one for the Yorkshire bit of our branch area (Sheffield Pub of the Year) and one for the Derbyshire bit of our branch area (District Pub of the Year). These winners are then entered into the county rounds of the national Pub of the Year competition.

Our selection process has three stages.

First of all, for pubs to qualify to be entered into the competition they first have to either be selected to be listed in the national Good Beer Guide or win one of our Pub of the Month awards over the previous 12 months. Pub of the months are nominate and voted for by our members. Pub of the month is not a competition between pubs – it is simply a way of our members highlighting and celebrating pubs they think serve good beer in a comfortable atmosphere day in day out.

The second stage is the Pub of the Year vote. Every member of Sheffield & District branch gets a ballot paper either by email or post to vote for their favourite pubs, this forms a top 6 Sheffield pubs and top 3 Derbyshire pubs.

The final stage is judging. A team of judges individually visit each of the shortlisted pubs and score the pubs against CAMRA’s national judging criteria. Our team of judges are varied in age, gender and CAMRA volunteering experience. The scoring criteria takes into account the quality of the beer and the range of beer styles, atmosphere, decor/style/ cleanliness, service & welcome, clientele mix, sympathy with CAMRA’s campaigning aims and value for money.

The results

SHEFFIELD PUB OF THE YEAR

1st – Kelham Island Tavern

2nd – Three Tuns

3rd – Sheaf View

4th – Shakespeare’s

5th – Fat Cat

6th – Sheffield Tap

DISTRICT PUB OF THE YEAR

1st – Anglers Rest (Millers Dale)

Joint 2nd – Cheshire Cheese (Hope)

Joint 2nd – Three Stags Head (Wardlow Mires)

So the Kelham Island Tavern and Anglers Rest are winners again having successfully defended their crown and with the pub scene in our area constantly seeing new and improving pubs creating more competition this is quite an achievement.

Congratulations to both the winners – look out for news of the certificate presentation evenings – plus also a well done to all the runners up – to be in the competition in the first place is a sign the pub is recognised as a good one.