Viaduct & Station Hotel, Wicker. When Did they Close?

I am not sure when it closed but I had my first drink in there when I was about 16 years old. I think the people that had it back then around 1972/3 were Ted & Rose a real odd ball couple ! It was an ok kind of pub with a full size snooker table in the back which we played on regularly. It had rooms for rent upstairs so there always different tradesmen that stayed there that were working in Sheffield.

I am not sure when it closed but I had my first drink in there when I was about 16 years old. I think the people that had it back then around 1972/3 were Ted & Rose a real odd ball couple ! It was an ok kind of pub with a full size snooker table in the back which we played on regularly. It had rooms for rent upstairs so there always different tradesmen that stayed there that were working in Sheffield.

I heard Hurricane Higgins used that table a lot, in his younger days.

Wasn't the snooker table in the front room to the right of the entrance?

Wasn't the snooker table in the front room to the right of the entrance?

Yes Jim, it was and although not your question, I thought Alex 'Hurricane' Higgins' younger days were spent in Belfast (where he's from) and even in the 'World Snooker Championship', the Wicker is a 'long limp' from the Crucible !

Yes Jim, it was and although not your question, I thought Alex 'Hurricane' Higgins' younger days were spent in Belfast (where he's from) and even in the 'World Snooker Championship', the Wicker is a 'long limp' from the Crucible !

--------------

Hi Stpetre, Station Hotel was a place i use to drink in, not sure when

it shut but i had some good nights and day outings.

I started going in around 1972/3/4 there was a snooker room to the

left as you walked in, Tony & Linda landlord/Landlady had it took out

and used the room as a concert room. Rock and Roll nights and talent

nightswere great and was best pub in wicker then. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

--------------

Hi Stpetre, Station Hotel was a place i use to drink in, not sure when

it shut but i had some good nights and day outings.

I started going in around 1972/3/4 there was a snooker room to the

left as you walked in, Tony & Linda landlord/Landlady had it took out

and used the room as a concert room. Rock and Roll nights and talent

nightswere great and was best pub in wicker then. :thumbsup:

Yes Brian and actually a place I never went in although having walked by the place as a Pitsmoor lad, twenty thousand times ? and I recognise from the inner glow from the 'Snooker Room' which I thought was to the front of the premises but being left or right ?? However the 'Big Gun' was always the best pub in the Wicker