Disabled access

There are other possibilities, it just seems no one wants to do the paperwork. They could have offered a lift, or even a storage unit built into my garden but because its not the normal option, no one wants to commit. I've contacted our local MP and shes taking it on so hopefully I might actually get some help.

Assuming that you are able to walk, do you have a physiotherapist and/or occupational therapist? If so, why not ask for an assessment? They may be able to help you with aids e.g. hand rail. They can also advise re exercise which would help to keep you on your feet and able to leave the house without a wheelchair.

If you are totally wheelchair dependent and cannot walk/leave the house at all then maybe you should be looking for a more suitable property because there are a whole lot of other issues that need addressing too e.g. bedrooms/bathrooms on one level, wide doors to accommodate the wheelchair,height of kitchen units, rewiring to raise the height of electrical sockets, hoists etc.

Edited by Jomie

Heya Peaches, I have asked my sister if she can provide some specific forums for wheelies.

She works for a charity that helps people with spinal cord injuries.

It isn't the same as what you suffer, but I'm sure there are more people who are/have been in your situation.

I'll pm you when I get the sites.

• 11 months later...

I had a steel ramp made for me to get my mobility scooter into the conservatory but it cost the size was 4ft wide 7 inch rise 8ft long.

pm me and I will dig you the number out.

Peaches, you'd still get your non means tested, disability related benefits if you sold up and moved into rented accommodation. It's what some pensioners do, although they lose pension credit, the rent is affordable, and there's no maintenance to pay for. This thread is over a year old, you may have resolved the situation, but if not, have you considered approaching housing associations directly?

• 4 weeks later...

We bought our house in the 80s. We decided to leave our names on the council list. When my health deteriorated we had to sell it and move into a council bungalow. After we moved social services arranged for a new entrance and ramp. I would strongly advise anyone to leave their names on the housing list.

I don't really understand this situation , you can't access your home how do you live their? Is your home a listed building hence no ramp can be built ?

You cant build a ramp because building control / planning would not pass it due to coming above exsisting d.p.c.// But loads do do it and do not notify council :hihi:

• 1 month later...
I was told last week that they "don't do that any more" with regards fitting a ramp in my house

Did it myself had to pay for it though did not get the council involved they do go OTT