Should USA be seriously concerned about N Korea now?

North Korea is skit , Iv seen many YouTube clips on the surface things look great but underneath they struggle to feed their population. Any leader can make a song and dance Putin does it all the time North Korea is no different remember the Korea War never officially ended.

North Korea has a national airline.

They have planes.

They have overflying rights from the EU.

A nuclear bomb can be carried by an airliner. Indeed for many years the UK used Vulcan Bombers made in the 1950s to transport nuclear bombs. You don't even need to drop them. A nuke exploding at around 30,000 feet would be its most effective height.

Also

If you have nuclear bombs you can sell or donate them to terrorists. A nuclear bomb can fit inside a shipping container which could be put aboard a ship and sailed into the docks at San Francisco.

You've been watching too many James Bond films

North Korea has a national airline.

A nuke exploding at around 30,000 feet would be its most effective height.

How did you work out 30,000 feet? It would be way too high for anything except a humongous fusion bomb.

As for the original question, of course the USA should be concerned about N Korea, but I don't believe that the N Korean government has developed nuclear weapons in order to use them. They're for deterrence which is the only reason any nation has them.

Edited by Nagel

Guest sibon
How did you work out 30,000 feet? It would be way too high for anything except a humongous fusion bomb.

As for the original question, of course the USA should be concerned about N Korea, but I don't believe that the N Korean government has developed nuclear weapons in order to use them. They're for deterrence which is the only reason any nation has them.

At 30 000 ft, much of the blast would be wasted disrupting the upper atmosphere and beyond.

The Japanese bombs were detonated at about 1500ft during WWII. I'm sure that modern weapons will be suitable for detonation at a higher altitude, but not by a factor of 20.

I'm fairly sure that Foxy will blame Jeremy Corbyn for this failiure of Physics, but in reality, she only has herself to blame for her rhetoric and hyperbole.

At 30 000 ft, much of the blast would be wasted disrupting the upper atmosphere and beyond.

The Japanese bombs were detonated at about 1500ft during WWII. I'm sure that modern weapons will be suitable for detonation at a higher altitude, but not by a factor of 20.

I'm fairly sure that Foxy will blame Jeremy Corbyn for this failiure of Physics, but in reality, she only has herself to blame for her rhetoric and hyperbole.

Would it cause more nationwide electrical devastation due to magnetic pulse damage at a greater height? Japan didn't have too many computers in n 1945 so not a consideration.

30,000 feet is a pretty normal height for an airliner to fly. A nuclear blast at that height would wipe out London, spread radiation over the whole of southern England and knock out most electrical appliances incliding computers over a similar area. I think a terrorist group would be satisfied with that.

To put this in context. We visited Mount St Helens years after it erupted. Every tree within 15 miles of the eruption had been flattened and was pointing away from the blast. I imagine a nuclear exposion just 5 miles up would be capable of flattening any building down below. I'd certainly not want to be around down there telling them they had got it wrong.

Edited by foxy lady