Should The Death Penalty Be Brought Back?

Not whilst Turks keep voting for the AKP.

Democracy in Turkey is dying. They may get one more chance to vote the AKP out of power in 2019. They may not.

And the Muslim Brotherhood strikes again.

I'm sorry but that is racist. You need to call the the "so called" Muslim brotherhood now.

The Turks onley dropped the death penalty a few years ago in the hope of getting into the EU..and thire way of dispatching people was by garotting...I'm not sure but I think we still have the death penalty for high treason only.

Nope.

Abolished for Treason in the UK in July 1998 by the 1998 Crime and Disorder Act.

All possible get-outs for extreme situations went in November 1998. Human Rights Act.

It's worth noting that although Turkey officially abolished the death penalty in 2004, it hadn't actually used it in the 20 years prior to abolition. Erdogan and the AKP have really fouled that country up.

Edited by unbeliever

Nope.

Abolished for Treason in the UK in July 1998 by the 1998 Crime and Disorder Act.

All possible get-outs for extreme situations went in November 1998. Human Rights Act.

Its not what I was thinking of, but ...

""On 20 May 1998 the House of Commons voted to ratify the 6th Protocol of the European Convention on Human Rights prohibiting capital punishment except "in time of war or imminent threat of war".""

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_the_United_Kingdom#Final_abolition

Edited by El Cid

Its not what I was thinking of, but ...

""On 20 May 1998 the House of Commons voted to ratify the 6th Protocol of the European Convention on Human Rights prohibiting capital punishment except "in time of war or imminent threat of war".""

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_the_United_Kingdom#Final_abolition

Which came into force in November 1998.

We've been abolishing capital punishment incrementally in this country for decades. The Human Rights Act was just the very last nail in the coffin.

Which came into force in November 1998.

We've been abolishing capital punishment incrementally in this country for decades. The Human Rights Act was just the very last nail in the coffin.

there was arson in the royal dockyard as well. it was scrapped as a capital offense at the same time. only one person was ever convicted of it.

Britain had one official working gallows up until the early 90's at Wandsworth, regularly tested, presumably by trained executioners, it was demolished in 2006.

There is another functioning gallows that is a rather unusual tourist attraction at the old Bodmin prison, you can see the video of a demonstration of it working on youtube.

Unfortunately .

An act of parliament could bring it back again. Not very likely, but of course it could. Not that I would like that. (honest :P)