Should The Death Penalty Be Brought Back?

Surely the question should be, Should we have the death penalty?

My answer is yes. In certain categories,

1. The murder of any member of the emergency services, armed services or any public servant whether in their line of duty or because of their Job.

2. The murder of any person for sexual gratification.

3. The murder of any person where it is intended to prevent that person giving evidence or information relating to any criminal offence.

4. Extreme cruelty to any person under the age of 16, sexual exploitation of any person under 16.

Surely the question should be, Should we have the death penalty?

My answer is yes. In certain categories,

1. The murder of any member of the emergency services, armed services or any public servant whether in their line of duty or because of their Job.

2. The murder of any person for sexual gratification.

3. The murder of any person where it is intended to prevent that person giving evidence or information relating to any criminal offence.

4. Extreme cruelty to any person under the age of 16, sexual exploitation of any person under 16.

what about giving false testimony leading to someone being executed for a capital offense?

that's not the question though and it's not being brought back. it's not a deterrent, it's never proven to be a deterrent and the risk of miscarriages is too great. so there.

No, we don't have it in any instance, unfortunately.

However, now that we are leaving the EU and no longer have to abide by EU Human Rights, it would be possible to bring it back. Every cloud...

No, we don't have it in any instance, unfortunately.

However, now that we are leaving the EU and no longer have to abide by EU Human Rights, it would be possible to bring it back. Every cloud...

ECHR rights is a separate thing to the EU.

why don't you educate yourself?

ECHR rights is a separate thing to the EU.

why don't you educate yourself?

*facepalm*

Yep, ECHR is entirely different. What's your point? Actually, you've only further backed-up my original point.

I'm guessing you're trying to be smart and imply that it is the ECHR which does not allow us to use the death penalty, and not the EU... you are WRONG.

Both the ECHR and EU do not allow it.

"The European Union holds a strong and principled position against the death penalty; its abolition is a key objective for the Union’s human rights policy. Abolition is, of course, also a pre-condition for entry into the Union."

http://eeas.europa.eu/human_rights/adp/index_en.htm

So, I'll repeat what I originally (and quite rightly) said... Now that we are leaving the EU, we do not have to abide by EU Human Rights. Additionally, now that we are leaving the EU we do not have to abide by the ECHR.

Therefore there is the possibility that we could bring back the death penalty if we so wished.

http://www.ukipmeps.org/news_256_ECHR-IS-a-Requirement-of-EU-Membership.html

Edited by Revel