Should The Death Penalty Be Brought Back?

5 hours ago, hobinfoot said:

I believe DNA evidence goes so far beyond doubt that it's so far out of sight in proving a persons guilt or innocence. And what about someone caught in the act of  murder ?

DNA evidence can of course be planted, and it's not a perfect science even if human failure weren't taken into account.

7 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Which I have no problem with. Can't win an appeal when you're dead!

In some instances the evidence is to damning. Michael Adebolago Who slaughtered Lee Rigby in broad daylight on a busy street is 100% guilty and therefore forfeits all rights of appeal. 

Edited by danot

2 hours ago, danot said:

In some instances the evidence is to damning. Michael Adebolago Who slaughtered Lee Rigby in broad daylight on a busy street is 100% guilty and therefore forfeits all rights of appeal. 

Who decides when the legal process gets cut short?  How can that power not be open to abuse...

The law applies to everyone, it has to.  And that includes having appeals and legal arguments even when there are multiple witnesses to a crime.

3 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Who decides when the legal process gets cut short?  How can that power not be open to abuse...

The law applies to everyone, it has to.  And that includes having appeals and legal arguments even when there are multiple witnesses to a crime.

May be, but in cases such as the murder of fusilier Lee Rigby, it's a blatantly unjustifiable waste of tax payers money that could be better spent elsewhere.  He's not insane, he wasn't acting under the influence of drugs, he stated his reason for committing the murder.  It's an open and shut case. The only abuse I see is tax payers money being abused by the judiciary system. 

2 hours ago, danot said:

You're failing to understand the principles behind the law and to understand that the checks and balances, the various grounds to appeal sentences are essential. They exist to try and ensure that the criminal justice system is as fair as possible. You can't just suspend the rights for particular types of crime that you don't like.

Just now, danot said:

May be, but in cases such as the murder of fusilier Lee Rigby, it's a blatantly unjustifiable waste of tax payers money that could be better spent elsewhere.  He's not insane, he wasn't acting under the influence of drugs, he stated his reason for committing the murder.  It's an open and shut case. The only abuse I see is tax payers money being abused by the judiciary system. 

I don't think it's unjustifiable use of money any more than locking up anyone else who has deliberately taken a life.

Loads of murderers. Are you suggesting we kill them all, or just the ones who commit high profile politically inflammatory murders?

5 minutes ago, danot said:

They both made 1 appeal, not against their conviction but against the length of their sentences (45 years I think).

It's entirely correct that they had access to the full legal process, and if the state were intending to kill them then it would be even more important that they did.

And you didn't answer the question of who would decide when a case is "open and shut" and how can you ensure that such a power isn't abused?

3 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

They both made 1 appeal, not against their conviction but against the length of their sentences (45 years I think).

It's entirely correct that they had access to the full legal process, and if the state were intending to kill them then it would be even more important that they did.

And you didn't answer the question of who would decide when a case is "open and shut" and how can you ensure that such a power isn't abused?

Such cases alway reach an inevitable conclusion. The only question is how much it'll cost to reach it.