Not keeping Gp appointments

Just been to see my GP and was appalled to see that 60 patients had not turned up for their appointment last month . At a time when GP appointments are very difficult to get there has to be some way to deter this behaviour . I really don't know what the answer is !I'm guessing hitting these people in their pocket would be the best way but how could that be rolled out .

Does anyone have any good ideas ?

Maybe striking people off like in the same way Dentists do if you don't pay them at least once a year. A three strikes and you're out policy would shake things up. Then if you are struck off, you have to shlep your way to the walk in centre, where you can't make an appointment.

I agree it is disgusting, but if they do punish people who don't turn up for appointments, they also should compensate me for waiting, hours in total, over the years, past my appointment time. Don't get me wrong, they probably should be punished. Should work both ways though. Personally I would like to go back to the old system with no appointment but you turned up and saw the doctor the same day, instead of in one month's time like the practise I just left for that reason.

I think 3 strikes is too many . If everyone was allowed this then nothing would improve . With mobile phones ect there really is no reason to not cancel an appointment . You can even get the surgery to text you with a reminder if that helps . Apart from genuine emergencies I really don't see any reason why not cancelling should be tolerated .

I agree it is disgusting, but if they do punish people who don't turn up for appointments, they also should compensate me for waiting, hours in total, over the years, past my appointment time. Don't get me wrong, they probably should be punished. Should work both ways though. Personally I would like to go back to the old system with no appointment but you turned up and saw the doctor the same day, instead of in one month's time like the practise I just left for that reason.

Have I understood you right, you'd like the doctors fined for keeping you waiting?

He's right, I'd much rather be seen promptly than have an accurate diagnosis.

Or something along the lines of -

Your test results are back, you're going to die. I can't go into too much details because some other people really resent having to wait a few minutes to be told "its a viral infection and they just have to give it time".

So if you book another couple of appointments I'll fill in the blanks, oh by the way don't make any appointments for anything longer than 6 months. Bye bye.

Or something along the lines of -

Your test results are back, you're going to die. I can't go into too much details because some other people really resent having to wait a few minutes to be told "its a viral infection and they just have to give it time".

So if you book another couple of appointments I'll fill in the blanks, oh by the way don't make any appointments for anything longer than 6 months. Bye bye.

If the doctor's just told you the test results say you're going to die, there's not much more to be said anyhow.