Can I register my car to my child?

This appears to be a definitive answer (from the DVLA with reference to a FOI request)

The register maintained by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)is based on vehicles and the registered keepers who are responsible for their use and taxing on the roads.

Vehicle registration and licensing is governed by the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 (as amended). The Act does not impose any age restrictions for the purposes of vehicle registration.

There is no legal requirement for the person purporting to keep a vehicle to provide evidence of age. This information is provided on a voluntary basis and it is therefore possible for a minor to register a vehicle. However, if the Agency is made aware that a minor is applying to be a registered keeper, the application, as you can appreciate, would be refused on policy grounds.

If a parent or guardian has registered the minor as the registered keeper because the vehicle is used to transport/aid the minor, this is incorrect. If the parent or guardian, is the person who is responsible for taxing and using the vehicle on the road then it is the parent or guardian details that must be shown as the registered keeper.

As you can appreciate there are ten's of thousands of vehicle registration certificates (V5C) processed daily by the DVLA, and the Agency is not in a position to verify each name provided on a V5C, and therefore each keeper's name is accepted in good faith, unless it is obvious by the clerk processing the V5C that the name provided is untrue or made up and would be rejected back to the address provided to clarify the keeper's name provided.

Fear my google fu.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/does_the_registered_keeper_of_a

Also note the terrible grammar and punctuation...