Sheffield's cream and blue buses

For me the blue and cream livery was so unique it gave Sheffield an identity. look at any video of Sheffield 'The city on the move' from the 70's and there are blue/cream buses everywhere.

These days there are so many garish and bland schemes, that all city centres now look alike.

Originally posted by stevo

For me the blue and cream livery was so unique it gave Sheffield an identity. look at any video of Sheffield 'The city on the move' from the 70's and there are blue/cream buses everywhere.

These days there are so many garish and bland schemes, that all city centres now look alike.

I totally agree. The busses in that footage truly look great. (Infact, the city looks really clean with some very impressive flower-beds and fountains actually working!)

It would be great to have this colour scheme back on the First busses, just as you say, to have a bit of an individual identity. And the Sheffield Coat of Arms on the side. Where has all the pride gone?

Look at the trams at Crich Tramway museum and the amount of care taken in their design.

We lost the blue and cream around 1973 when Sheffield Transport became the South Yorkshire Transport Executive. An impressive moniker for a second rate colour scheme of coffee and cream! Still, a ride from Fulwood to Stannington at 2p - and this was only 20 odd years ago - was good value for money.

..........and because of the ridiculously cheap fares, everyone used the bus, so there were hundreds of them. People even used to talk to one another and the only thing they may have had in common, was that they were Sheffielders. Incredibly men used to stand up to let ladies sit on seats when the bus was full. This must seem strange to many of todays young 'uns.

;)

And as I said previously, you knew it was Sheffield because there was cream and blue everywhere. As much a part of Sheffields identity as the cooling towers at Tinsley and The Goodwin fountain (RIP).

The last comment about cheap fares in Sheffield is very interesting, this was one of the deliberate ways of enticing people to use public transport, and it worked!

Now we have a so called labour government trying to encourage people to use public transport more often, but by the very policy of privatisation have priced it so there is no incentive for a car driver to leave there car at home. For public transport to really work, it must meet three main criteria;- it must be cheap, reliable, and frequent. Current bus and tram services do not meet all these essential ingredients. Of course, to keep fares at an attractive price, a government subsidy is essential.

Good point. I thin kone of the great problems with the cheap fares before deregulation, was that they were subsidised by the rate payers (I believe). With the motor car becoming ever more popular and rates in Sheffield being quite expensive at the time anyway, there was a lot of opposition to this subsidy.

The results are there to see. Public transport within cities works well and everyone needs to pay a share, otherwise the cityscape becomes unpleasant and congested. It's a little different in rural areas.

So Sheffield, bring back the cream and blue, bring back the crest, bring back cheap fares and make the city look like Sheffield once again. There - I've had my say!

:rolleyes:

• 11 months later...
Originally posted by little malc

Hey! Mojo, what was your dad's name when he was an inspector? I'll bet I knew him. Malc

little malc -might you have known my dad george keatley he was an irishman - he lived at lane top and i think he worked on the buses in the 50's and 60's i also think he drove some of the last trams - i don't know what year that would have been - anyone help with that one?

Archived