Sheffield's cream and blue buses

Hi! Erino, the last tram ran in 1960, I remember your dad although he was a bit older than me, used to see him knocking about Lane Top as I also lived there.

I have lived in Scarborough for a while now, but your mail certainly brought a lot of memories flooding back.

Originally posted by little malc

The most amazing thing when I think about it, being an old git, is that most of the old Sheffield buses in the museum I have actually driven when they were still operating! God!! I feel old.

Trouble is Malc, I feel we should be part of that bloody museum with the service we put in and the back breaking job we had to handle those damn buses that had NO powered steering. Cheers !!!

Scenic has certainly hit the nail on the head about buses with no power steering! most modern buses seem to be from the Volvo stable, they seem to have cornered the bus market, full automatic transmission, power steering, good heating, shock absorber mounted drivers seat etc, the Leyland, Daimlers, Bristols etc we had right up to the mid 70s were just the oposite.

The Daimler type Atlantean needed plenty muscle to steer, and it got much worse with a full passenger load. The even earlier back loaders had no heating at all, very draughty cabs, crash gearboxes, and often a strong stink of diesel fuel.

Oh happy days eh!!!

Originally posted by little malc

The even earlier back loaders had no heating at all, very draughty cabs, crash gearboxes, and often a strong stink of diesel fuel.

Oh happy days eh!!!

The old back loaders weren't very comfortable for the pasengers either, - it coul be pretty draughty upstairs in the winter ;)

At least on those you didn't have passengers bending your ear :P

For those of you needing a cream and blue fix - check this out !http://www.cooperline.com/pages/B086.htm - even got my old 74 route centre stage. Remember wondering as kid if they'd make it up Greystones with a full load - sometimes they didn't and you'd have to walk up :mad: They'd also lean wildly on tight corners and the platform would scrap the road - really scary if you were stood on it at the time! Conductors all seemed to be Teds with DAS hair and low-slung satchels, but the banter was great.:hihi:

Memories, memories!

Some good, such as being able to watch the driver and copy him - downstairs, front, right. Failing that, upstairs, front, and using the bar across the window as a steering 'wheel'. Also collecting tickets from the 'used tickets' box on the platform. The conductor "waiting until passengers were seated" before ringing the bell twice to tell the driver to go.

Some bad, such as falling down stairs and rolling off the platform prior to the bus pulling up. Several failed attempts at jumping off safely before bus stops...only to find that I was supposed to be facing forwards on landing. Nobody can run backwards at 10 mph can they?

The comment about jumping on and off backloaders while on the move brings a smile to my face, platform accidents used to take up a lot of conductors time, someone was always misjudging the speed of a bus when they attempted some impossible move. I can well remember a man grabbing the rear pole of my bus when it was just starting off, he fell flat on his face but refused to let go of the pole, after being dragged horizontal for a few yards he was assisted on to the bus with two big holes in his trouser knees, pride refused to let him admit his knees were pretty sore, and he refused any medical help.

This sort of incident was very common, some had endings that were quite serious, and others quite funny.

Archived