Container/log cabin

You may need planning depending on the size and location of either. If you're considering a container, also consider your neighbors.

Why would a small shipping container (which presumably wouldn't have any planning restrictions) affect somebody's neighbours?

because it'd be ugly as sin stuck in the back garden in some housing estate.

Intolerant much? Do I need to get the neighbours permission in case I fancy doing a bit Tai chi in me speedos in the back garden because that's going to offend more people than a large metal shed. Would you prefer to look at a knackered conventional shed? Why are looking at your next door neighbours back garden anyway?

because it'd be ugly as sin stuck in the back garden in some housing estate.

its your garden you can have what you want there providing it does not contravene planning permission , also containers aren't classed and permanent.

considering either of these, just wondered if anyone has any views on these structures or have one and if it is functional

Back in the Netherlands we had a wooden cabin that functioned as an outdoor office, unfortunately we never used it despite me intending to use it as such, difficult to heat in winter, prone to insects coming in and, more importantly, not quite damp-proof enough to use any electric equipment in it. The climate here is different, less cold in winter and more wet in general, so those are things to research.

I lost only a radio to the damp, but it could have been worse had I gone ahead with my plan of using it as a full office.

considering either of these, just wondered if anyone has any views on these structures or have one and if it is functional

I drive past a metal container in a garden, every day, it looks rather large and out of place.