Working full-time, fined by government for going on holiday!

The lady in question has a job. She receives UC to top up her meagre wages.

I work full time, and although I don't earn much money, or receive any state support in terms of benefits, and haven't had a holiday for 4 years; I hope she and her family have a lovely holiday.

Then, I am afraid, Mister M, you are not the one being taxed to pay for their holidays. Perhaps we should only ask those who pay net taxes whether they are happy to subsidise other people holidays?

Then, I am afraid, Mister M, you are not the one being taxed to pay for their holidays. Perhaps we should only ask those who pay net taxes whether they are happy to subsidise other people holidays?

if she has managed to save up for a holiday from gifts/salary/benefits then good luck to her.

It should be used to cover the cost of their inevitable self inflicted illness, you can only save money each week if you have more money than you need.

Clearly you're talking complete rubbish.

Perhaps the saving I mentioned is made by switching shopping for a week to the local market and cooking up a large batch of nutritional food which is then saved.

Perhaps the weather is good and they switch from the bus to work to cycling.

Perhaps they have a household clear-out and sell lots of stuff.

The idea that nobody on benefits should be able to save is complete nonsense and that's why you can't answer my simple questions about it.

Clearly you're talking complete rubbish.

Perhaps the saving I mentioned is made by switching shopping for a week to the local market and cooking up a large batch of nutritional food which is then saved.

Perhaps the weather is good and they switch from the bus to work to cycling.

Perhaps they have a household clear-out and sell lots of stuff.

The idea that nobody on benefits should be able to save is complete nonsense and that's why you can't answer my simple questions about it.

I was just responding to your rubbish.

Benefits should be a safety net, paid to people that don't have enough for their every day living expenses, if it gives them the ability to save then they are clearly being given more than they need for their everyday living expenses.

Benefits should be a safety net, paid to people that don't have enough for their every day living expenses, if it gives them the ability to save then they are clearly being given more than they need for their everyday living expenses.

Exactly. It should not be a lifestyle choice.

No, you were failing to answer any of the simple questions about why someone claiming in work benefits should be unable to save any money.

You don't even understand that this is about someone that works 30 - 40 hrs a week. Yeah, what a lifestyle, I'm sure they've made a deliberate choice to be on minimum wage because it's so cushy claiming a pittance top up.

So, how do you suggest that we ensure that someone who's working but claiming in work benefits never saves anything?

Just empty their bank account at the end of every week?

I hope you have to spend some time on benefits one day, you'd never say anything of course, but I'm imagining the irony of it right now.

---------- Post added 26-04-2016 at 08:33 ----------

I am though. And so long as the level of benefits is assessed as being reasonable (and frankly it's on the low side for anyone not somehow gaming the system) then if they can manage to save enough for a holiday, then I'm perfectly happy with that.

No, you were failing to answer any of the simple questions about why someone claiming in work benefits should be unable to save any money.

You don't even understand that this is about someone that works 30 - 40 hrs a week. Yeah, what a lifestyle, I'm sure they've made a deliberate choice to be on minimum wage because it's so cushy claiming a pittance top up.

So, how do you suggest that we ensure that someone who's working but claiming in work benefits never saves anything?

Just empty their bank account at the end of every week?

I hope you have to spend some time on benefits one day, you'd never say anything of course, but I'm imagining the irony of it right now.

---------- Post added 26-04-2016 at 08:33 ----------

I am though. And so long as the level of benefits is assessed as being reasonable (and frankly it's on the low side for anyone not somehow gaming the system) then if they can manage to save enough for a holiday, then I'm perfectly happy with that.

I answered it several times, but I will do it again just for you.

Its about someone not working enough hours to support their lifestyle.

You still haven't answered the question. Just spouting some rhetoric that is vaguely related is not an answer.

How do you propose that it be made impossible for someone to save money? What do you propose to do if they manage to save some anyway?

You still haven't answered the question. Just spouting some rhetoric that is vaguely related is not an answer.

How do you propose that it be made impossible for someone to save money? What do you propose to do if they manage to save some anyway?

Its not rocket science, if they are given enough to save, they are given more than they need, you correct that by cutting the amount they are given.