Working full-time, fined by government for going on holiday!

Really ? :suspect:

Yeah, people on low incomes do that, or just go and stay with relatives. Also there are charities that you can apply to that pay for holidays for some people, especially if they haven't had one for ages. I've successfully applied to those before for people, including some who were in work on minimum wage

---------- Post added 14-04-2016 at 18:46 ----------

The single mother, mentioned does not work full time, she averages 30 hours over the year.

That's full time for JSA purposes, it's what Jobcentre Plus class as full time. You are also ineligible for unemployment or sickness benefits if you study for 30 hours or more, they class that as full time. Sometimes that woman works 40 hours a week yet they still expect her to do as much job searching in those weeks as the weeks she works 25 hours, which is daft.

When my 3 boys were all at school I worked a full time 37 hour week on what is now called zero hours contract, poorer pay than the perminant staff, no paid holidays and no government hand out. Spanish holidays didn't even cross my mind but every week in my lunch hour I popped into the JobCentre and checked the vacancies until I found a permanent job. This woman should be grateful that the taxpayers of this country support her and her family and stop trying to bend the rules to suit.

Yeah, people on low incomes do that, or just go and stay with relatives. Also there are charities that you can apply to that pay for holidays for some people, especially if they haven't had one for ages. I've successfully applied to those before for people, including some who were in work on minimum wage

---------- Post added 14-04-2016 at 18:46 ----------

That's full time for JSA purposes, it's what Jobcentre Plus class as full time. You are also ineligible for unemployment or sickness benefits if you study for 30 hours or more, they class that as full time. Sometimes that woman works 40 hours a week yet they still expect her to do as much job searching in those weeks as the weeks she works 25 hours, which is daft.

Well I wish I'd known that several years ago when we has 3 small children and I was working night shifts to make ends meet because my OH was out of work.

Clearly I stupidly made the assumption that if it was difficult to make ends meet and to even feed the kids then a holiday was out of the question - my, how times have changed.

Well I wish I'd known that several years ago when we has 3 small children and I was working night shifts to make ends meet because my OH was out of work.

Clearly I stupidly made the assumption that if it was difficult to make ends meet and to even feed the kids then a holiday was out of the question - my, how times have changed.

Those charities would have been around then. Quite a few are linked to particular trades and if you can show you worked in that trade for the requisite number of years you can apply if you're struggling. Just because you didn't, I don't see why that justifies criticising people who have. We're in danger of veering into "Cardboard box? Tha were lucky!" territory with some of these responses.

I worked the night shift in an old people home, I was looking after the lovely old ladies but I my own in a large old house and it was scary but I had to do it because my little ones weren't old enough for school and I didn't want to leave them in the day.

Those charities would have been around then. Quite a few are linked to particular trades and if you can show you worked in that trade for the requisite number of years you can apply if you're struggling. Just because you didn't, I don't see why that justifies criticising people who have. We're in danger of veering into "Cardboard box? Tha were lucky!" territory with some of these responses.

Where in my response have I criticised anybody ?:rolleyes:

If you are living off the state, you need to follow the rules. You can go on holiday whenever you like if you can support yourself financially.

According to reports, there are twice as many jobs as there are job seekers in the UK, so hassling (as you put it) to get one or for someone who is working in a job on low hours and requiring the state to top up their earnings, is not an issue.

ref: http://www.onrec.com/news/statistics-and-trends/twice-as-many-jobs-as-jobseekers-available-in-the-uk

the person in the guardian article isn't living off the state but working and if she can save enough from her income, from whatever source, to go on holiday then why shouldn't she?

Sorry if I misinterpreted, the tone of your post seemed to be "there was me slogging my guts out while others were cashing in on freebies" but I know it's easy to misread online comments.

You did - apology accepted.