Working full-time, fined by government for going on holiday!

Jobless should work for their benefits, say four in five voters

This but it would apply to everyone, if you need state help the help will come in the form of work which pays the money you need.

What work would the unemployed do? How would it impact on those working?

I don't think that system you propose is fair to everyone. It doesn't promote the fact that ideally a social security system should be inclusive, be based on the principle of social insurance, relieves poverty, and allows people to feel some security. Your proposal seems to be based on being punitive, rather than one which promotes solidarity. Judging from your previous comments on this thread, you'd also like the state to monitor what the jobless spend their money on too.

I did notice that you've based your ideal on the fact that lots of people think that people on benefits should work for their benefits. However a poll commissioned by the TUC found that lots of people are misinformed about what people receive in benefits. That it is much more generous than it is in reality, is riddled with fraud and is heavily skewed towards helping the unemployed, who they think are far more likely to stay on the dole than is actually the case.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/voters-brainwashed-by-tory-welfare-myths-shows-new-poll-8437872.html

Edited by Mister M

I don't think that system you propose is fair to everyone.

Nor do I, but as as suggestion for your question...

Open some factories? Make all the cheap tat that we currently buy from abroad and sell it to everywhere that they already do including here. Bring the work back here, and if they can run it well, and it makes any profits, they are shared amongst themselves.

I don't think that system you propose is fair to everyone.

Its fair on everyone from the people funding it to the people using it.

Not sure why you think it is unfair for those that are able to work to earn the money they need by working.

They would do some of the work that immigrants are coming here to do, they would repair the nations roads, clean the nations footpaths, tidy the country side and parks. There is plenty or work for everyone and the people that are funding it would be much happier because they get something in return.

Not sure why you think it is unfair for those that are able to work to earn the money they need by working.

They would do some of the work that immigrants are coming here to do, they would repair the nations roads, clean the nations footpaths, tidy the country side and parks. There is plenty or work for everyone and the people that are funding it would be much happier because they get something in return.

how many hours are you proposing they work each week? whos going to pay for all the training and tickets they going to need to work on our roads? who is going to run these projects and from where will they meet to start work ? how is this going to work with people already in the business who have to compete with other companies to get the job ? these people you talk about being happy about funding it I take it are people like you sat up there in your ivory tower?

There as already been a moderator warning on the topic and I can see that it isn't going to be possible to have a sensible discussion on the subject because some people are already getting all emotional and angry, so I will leave it at that unless a moderator intervenes and gives me permission to discuss it without the risk of being banned.

And the woman who is the original subject of his thread who works between 30 and 40 hours, receives very low wages, perhaps has young children and is possibly separated from her husband? And the millions like her?

What about the workers who already receive a wage and work full time repairing the nation's roads, cleaning the footpaths & tidying the countryside & parks. If the unemployed are to do their work for peanuts - won't that make them unemployed? Is it fair on them? How does it provide security & solidarity (to keep with the founding principles of the welfare state)?

Edited by Mister M

And the woman who is the original subject of his thread who works between 30 and 40 hours, receives very low wages, perhaps has young children and is possibly separated from her husband? And the millions like her?

What about the workers who already receive a wage and work full time repairing the nation's roads, cleaning the footpaths & tidying the countryside & parks. If the unemployed are to do their work for peanuts - won't that make them unemployed? Is it fair on them? How does it provide security & solidarity (to keep with the founding principles of the welfare state)?

I started a new topic.

There as already been a moderator warning on the topic and I can see that it isn't going to be possible to have a sensible discussion on the subject because some people are already getting all emotional and angry, so I will leave it at that unless a moderator intervenes and gives me permission to discuss it without the risk of being banned.

why would you need permission to carry on this discussion without the risk of being banned ? if as you say you/other people are having a sensible discussion about this why need a moderator to intervene ?