'Breaking - Britains's Last Pub Has Closed'. Reality one day?

sedith - re your Moon under Water post - i heard Tim Martin Chairman of Wetherspoons being intervied last year after the increase in minimum wage was announced.

He, sort of, quoted...Village pub inthe country, log fire, old Fred comes in every night for 40 years, has a couple of pints and goes home. 'Forget it' he said. No pub can survive on that basis. You need a large building, get thecustomers in by offering good value breakfasts, coffee beer etc - you cannot do it other than in towns. Sadly the country pub idea or the ale house selling only beer and lager is dead in the water (i'm paraphrasing it a bit but that was essentially what he said) He did have a point though about the differential taxation applied to pub food and the food, say, Tescos sells and how, in effect, it subsidises their beer sales etc

The ones that open arnt boozers , they are them horrible family food pubs ,which are no more than a creche that sells food and beer.

I dont call them proper boozers.

I don't think the Walkley Beer Company sells food, nor is it usually full of children.